Replacement Air Filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Replacement Air Filter

I just bought my 03 7.3L and want to replace the air filter. It's in okay shape but I want to put an aftermarket one in there. I like what I've seen about the K&N, AFE and S&B. Which one is the best filter to use (my truck is bone stock)? Are any of these 3 worthwhile (I've had K&N before) or is there a better one out there?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

By the way I'm just looking for a better filter with more airflow (plus some more mpg's wouldn't hurt either). Better performance goes with it (however marginal it might be) but I just want the engine to breathe better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 10:02 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Do not go with a K&N, I would doing your own Tymar kit, or getting the AFE kit. Another one to look at is the AEM kit.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I have seen several K&N’s that leaked dust into the engine, save about $10,000 and go with a Baldwin PA2818 air filter and a 4” adapter made out of PVC or Metal pipe for about $40. It is much cleaner and requires no maintenance except changing every two years or so depending on driving conditions.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:55 AM

I have the DIY tymar and love it! The engine can breath all it wants, and i get better fuel mileage. Maybe a little more power, but nothing to really brag about. I also have the Superchips programmer and a straight pipe. Between those 3 things, i'm real happy. Just my
Old 08-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to JoeyCleland
Tymar, Tymar, Tymar!. Did mine for 36 bucks total and it flows and filters like a mofo.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

DIY Tymar

Joey:
I plan to install a DIY soon.

What parts did you use? Muffler pipe? PVC? Filter brand and part number?

Is the Zoodad necessary with a DIY? Seems like it would get plenty of air from under the hood.

Any help will be much appreciated. I have had it with the 12 MPG.

Thanks!

Hank
Old 08-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Jon

Air filter.

I would not go with a K&N. I have a Ford AIS intake on my 7.3. I'm not a fan of the tymar either for it sucks warm engine air in. I would reccomend the AFE.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Ya that's the only problem i have is that it's sucking warm air. I saw one guy who built a shield for it out of sheet metal like the expensive ones. I also didn't need to use any kind of pipe to get it to fit. The Tymar filter fit right into the intake hose like it was made to. We did another one on dad's truck, but had a little harder time with it. Anybody see a big problem with that? It's nice and tight in the hose, and snug under the hood.
I believe the part number from napa is a Tymar #6637
Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to JoeyCleland
Just went down to the muffler shop and got a 3" piece of 4" exhaust tubing gave it to me free when I got the stock muff cut off. Make sure to sand down any rough edges. The chop saw they use leaves burrs. The napa filter number is 6637 or 6337 something like that. There is a writeup on this bbs somewhere. You will have to remove the stock airbox. I moved my "filterminder" to the intake hose. As for sucking in hot air, I really dont think that the air underhood is all that much hotter going down the road with the entire engine bay open to below. and even if it is 10 degrees hotter, Who cares. Can you tell a difference in your engine performance when its 80 degrees outside or 90? I can't. And for a total price of $36. It cant be beat.

Joey
Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 PM

I am going to do the DIY/Tymar. I know I will not be a fan of cleaning and oiling other types of filters, even the dry filters need to be cleaned. Just install the big Napa filter and replace it when it gets dirty.I read on another post that if some of these other filter systems claim to flow so much better they must let more dirt thru. Just my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.