Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Replacement Air Filter

5K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  jblagg 
#1 ·
I just bought my 03 7.3L and want to replace the air filter. It's in okay shape but I want to put an aftermarket one in there. I like what I've seen about the K&N, AFE and S&B. Which one is the best filter to use (my truck is bone stock)? Are any of these 3 worthwhile (I've had K&N before) or is there a better one out there?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

By the way I'm just looking for a better filter with more airflow (plus some more mpg's wouldn't hurt either). Better performance goes with it (however marginal it might be) but I just want the engine to breathe better.

#3 ·
I have seen several K&N’s that leaked dust into the engine, save about $10,000 and go with a Baldwin PA2818 air filter and a 4” adapter made out of PVC or Metal pipe for about $40. It is much cleaner and requires no maintenance except changing every two years or so depending on driving conditions.

#4 ·
I have the DIY tymar and love it! The engine can breath all it wants, and i get better fuel mileage. Maybe a little more power, but nothing to really brag about. I also have the Superchips programmer and a straight pipe. Between those 3 things, i'm real happy. Just my :twocents:

#6 ·
DIY Tymar

Joey:
I plan to install a DIY soon.

What parts did you use? Muffler pipe? PVC? Filter brand and part number?

Is the Zoodad necessary with a DIY? Seems like it would get plenty of air from under the hood.

Any help will be much appreciated. I have had it with the 12 MPG.

Thanks!

Hank

#8 ·
Ya that's the only problem i have is that it's sucking warm air. I saw one guy who built a shield for it out of sheet metal like the expensive ones. I also didn't need to use any kind of pipe to get it to fit. The Tymar filter fit right into the intake hose like it was made to. We did another one on dad's truck, but had a little harder time with it. Anybody see a big problem with that? It's nice and tight in the hose, and snug under the hood.
I believe the part number from napa is a Tymar #6637

#9 ·
Just went down to the muffler shop and got a 3" piece of 4" exhaust tubing gave it to me free when I got the stock muff cut off. Make sure to sand down any rough edges. The chop saw they use leaves burrs. The napa filter number is 6637 or 6337 something like that. There is a writeup on this bbs somewhere. You will have to remove the stock airbox. I moved my "filterminder" to the intake hose. As for sucking in hot air, I really dont think that the air underhood is all that much hotter going down the road with the entire engine bay open to below. and even if it is 10 degrees hotter, Who cares. Can you tell a difference in your engine performance when its 80 degrees outside or 90? I can't. And for a total price of $36. It cant be beat.

Joey

#10 ·
I am going to do the DIY/Tymar. I know I will not be a fan of cleaning and oiling other types of filters, even the dry filters need to be cleaned. Just install the big Napa filter and replace it when it gets dirty.I read on another post that if some of these other filter systems claim to flow so much better they must let more dirt thru. Just my:twocents:

#11 ·
A DYI is great... i have a K&N and 134K mi later is still functioning as advertized. I personaly have 2 very good professional Diesel mechs an they say htere is nothing worng with a K&N I dont think i would use 1 in the sand or super dirt aera.. but they all function the same (ie: remove particials from the air), so the ? is how many $$$'s do you wish to spend????? Bill

#13 · (Edited)
I did the Tymar and zoodad and also a home made zoodad where I used 2'' vacuum hose and ran it from the filter down through the fender and underneath my bumper you can't even see it but it sucks plenty of cold air, just helps the turbo breath. After you do the Tymar you'll get a woooooooosh sound when you let off the throttle but... nothing to worry about.. and it's well worth doing.

#14 ·
The problem i have with oiled filters is just that, their oiled. For a gasser they're great. But a gasser only sucks around 250 cfm if i'm correct. A diesel will suck up to 700 cfm! Those specs might not be exact, but the point is that it's drawing soo much more air it sucks the oil right out of the filter.

The filtration on the K&N is also an issue compared to paper filters. Again, these numbers might not be exact, but i read that a K&N will filter something like 92% of the particles, but a paper filter will get about 98%! I'll keep those extra 6% worth out of my engine.

Again, just my :twocents:

#15 ·
Every one has a Opinion however i will offer this tidbit, If everyone is so concerned with K&N allowing so much particulates to come into the turbo! I would like to offer the following: A 2 million $ turbine engine dont use any filters ,and it spinns up a lot more rpm than a turbo charger the compresser section turns roughly 600K RPM , A turbine engine spends hours on the ground running duriing taxi wating in line for a takeoff slot. Olso thye spend a lot of time at lower altuidies. Humm just wondering......... Some points 2 ponder...... BILL

#21 ·
Actually to be more specific the open air K&N is fine its the K&N drop in filter that fits the stock intake box that has had issues of not sealing well even folding up inside from the suction. Actually not quite comparing apples to apples with a turbine engine and a combustion engine. Certainly the fan blades in the compressor section of a jet engine will wear over time just like a turbo comressor wheel would if we didnt have adequite filtering With our powerstroke motors the dust and dirt will mix with the oil and its constantly circulated through the the engine and with the close tolerances of the piston rings to achieve the high compression of a diesel its not a good thing.:)

#16 ·
I done it last night. Man can you hear the turbo wistle. Oh yeah the foil delete is out od surgery as well. I dont know which it was but man my fule mileage is going down now to hear it take off like 747!

#17 ·
Keep The Stocker!!!!! Your truck will be a lot better off......it's awfully hard to beat the Donaldson filter for what it does for these engines. :) I say this especially in light of the fact that your truck is still stock.

Jerry

#18 ·
I have an AIRAID for my 6.0 stock box. I think for the money it is the best...

#19 ·
The 6.0 and 7.3 air boxes are completely different though. The 6.0 box will flow enough air so it's not a problem. 7.3 is a little different though...

#20 ·
I have a DIY intake with a K/N cylinder filter Been on there for almost 2 years now no problems and it has been filtering great.

#22 ·
Yall do what you want but I have seen signs of dust leaking by more than 1 K&N large cone type open element filter and every stock air box I have seen has dust leaking by it. I strongly urge yall to get the Baldwin PA2818 if you don't want to spend $8-$12K on an engine or do like I did and do it all completely yourself and still spend $4K. The Baldwin is about $38 and last for more than a year and is easy to change.

#23 ·
So the open air K&N's leak too?:eek:

#25 ·
Yes the open element K&N's leak too, I have seen two of them on a PSD and both had fine dust trails in the intake hoses. They do not leak as bad as a factory air box filter but why do anything if you’re not going to do it right and especially if the Baldwin filter is cheaper.

#26 ·
Oh no doubt on doing it right the first time! I didn't realize the open air K&N's were leakers too. Thanks for the info:thumb:

#27 ·
Concerning dust on turbos: I have also peformed both major rebuild and normal maintenance on opposed piston Contentinal & Lycoming engines .these engines are also run turbos. looks just like the ones on my powerstroke, have the name Garrett on it olny dierence is the aircraft ones ar controled via wast gates, and berometric pressure switch sensors,, SAME turbo different controlling devices. these engines have a reuseabul wire mesh airfilter and it gets cleaned every 50 hrs of operating time. admitily these engines operate in a much cleaner enviroment (seamely), however they spend a lot of operating time on the ground think about it. and you can purchace 3 powerstrokes for one of these puppies
i believe it is up 2 the installer and maintainer to insure the filter is sealed in place. PS im not a big fann of hte KN filters nor am i a fan of the over hiped AFE.. JUST some comments in pasing BILL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.