7.3 VS 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 VS 6.0

Im looking at buying a truck. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on recomendations toward buying a 7.3 vs a 6.0. No matter what truck i get its gonna be programmed exhaust guages etc nothing major just the norm. I really like the reliability of the 7.3 but like the power of the 6.0 do 6.0's really make that much more power? If i get a 6.0 the newest id be able to afford would probly be a 04 so thats why im concerned about buying a 6.0 compared to the reliablitlity of the tried and true 7.3?With a good programmer exhaust intake etc how fast would a reg cab 4x4 7.3 roughly be in the 1/4?if anybody could share some thoughts please let me know.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would get the 7.3l but thats just my opinion. their is no replacement for displacement. lol as for the 1/4 it depends on mod but you with a regular cab could prolly get in to low 14 maybe high 13 all depends on what you do to it.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by snox141 View Post
Im looking at buying a truck. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on recomendations toward buying a 7.3 vs a 6.0. No matter what truck i get its gonna be programmed exhaust guages etc nothing major just the norm. I really like the reliability of the 7.3 but like the power of the 6.0 do 6.0's really make that much more power? If i get a 6.0 the newest id be able to afford would probly be a 04 so thats why im concerned about buying a 6.0 compared to the reliablitlity of the tried and true 7.3?With a good programmer exhaust intake etc how fast would a reg cab 4x4 7.3 roughly be in the 1/4?if anybody could share some thoughts please let me know.
thanks
I know it doesn't take much to a 6.0 in the low 13s( SCT, exhaust, zoodad, and intake), but as for the 7.3 I'm guessin a mid or high 14, I'm not sure......I know you won't get one goin as fast as a 6.0 without some serious mods, but they are hella reliable, hope that helps....welcome to the site!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Well all I can tell you is I have an late 04 6.0 and I love it. I bought it brand new so I am the only one that has ever drove it and I have had no problems with it at all. I would look at what it would cost to do what modifications I wanted to do then see if I wanted a 7.3 or 6.0. Iwould look for the grampa that had one that drove it only on Sunday's and not one that has already been tweeked with because you do not know how hard it was ran.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
This question is a matter of opinion really. Just drive both, and get whichever one you feel you like more and can afford.

The normal stuff done to a 6.0 can hit 13s easily it appears, whereas a 7.3 you're going to need to spend a little more money - there is still a lot of factors though; tire sizes, weight, etc. etc.

With my guess you'll be a 1/2 second faster than me in a reg cab long bed 7.3 with the same mods. I know with more practice I can squeeze a little more out of it, not a whole lot more though.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the info guys. The more info i recieve the better.
thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM

well ive had both the 7.3 and now the 6.0 and its the 2003 model. like em both but love the power out of the 6.0 if your gonna tow, alot of people say the 7.3 is the way to go cause of the low end torque but if your lookin for power get the 6.0
also the whistle is loud in the 6.0
Old 08-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Another thing to remember, 2001 and up 7.3s have PMR connecting rods, whereas the 2000 and below have forged. You can raise the bar of your power levels and still be safe, whereas if I get another 100 HP (guessing) to the wheels I'll be close to 400 which is where pretty much everyone limits the 7.3s with the PMRs.

Pretty much either way, once you get to about 400RWHP it's not cheap anymore.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If I were to do it all over again, I'd get an early 00 build, build the tranny, and do a few other mods to put me close to 500 hp and ask every 6.0 owner I meet to race... and you'll be victorious 95% of the time. Or spend the same amount of money that you would on a 2000 7.3 including mods and buy a 2004 6.0.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM

Go for the 6.0... much better rig...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.