turbo surge????????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo surge?????????

Hey guys, I have a 99 7.3 how do you know if its a99.5 or 99 mine was MFD 2/99 so im guessing is a 99.5 badges on door and such. yesterday i was on the Freeway i had the edge attitude on setting 4 and i was prob dooin 65 maybe 70 up a slight hill nothin huge and everything sounded fine i rolled into the throttle and i could hear the DIY tymar start to suck air i was prob around 2000 maybe alitle more and it got loud (normal) and then it went psss ppss pssss psss. i wasnt payin attention to my monitor to see if the boost fluctuated or any thing i was at like 750 850 on the EGT. Im sure it was turbo surge. i just backed out of er and lowered the setting to 3 and didnt happen again. sound familar? (i wasn't towin anything) the sound wasnt bad my GF didnt even notice but i did and you couldnt feel it just here it. i just put the intake on so im sure its happend before i just couldnt hear it. the reason i asked bout the 99.5 is i heard the 99s arnt suposed to surge, maybe wrong but thanks for the help guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

replace the turbo intake side housing and problem gone , ats makes housing
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Sounds like some wastgate flutter,which is common with that application.Changing the impellar wheel will likely solve the isssue.

Last edited by harald@bd; 08-02-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

harald so you dont think it was surge? throw a wicked wheel in there and i should be good. I never really beat on er i just like everything to be right, i heard that the WW will just raise the point at witch surge happens? I could unplug the WG and would that help? thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yes , if you wire the wastegate closed the flutter will also go away,BUT, this is not the recommended fix.you could overspeed the tubo with this setup and damage it,
Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea i hear ya, i do have a boost gauge and i never see above 25, probable cause i have a wastegate lol not sure what im gonna do.Wicked wheel probably. I dont think its gonna be a prob as it only did it when i was on level 4 and at high speeds
Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald@bd View Post
Yes , if you wire the wastegate closed the flutter will also go away,BUT, this is not the recommended fix.you could overspeed the tubo with this setup and damage it,
What a load... a "tech " telling you that unhooking the wastegate will stop surge... Go back to school my friend...

A WW might stop or move the surge a little, but the ATS housing will stop it dead...

It is not "wastegate flutter", it is surge...

Overspeed the turbo huh.... LOL Might over BOOST it, but not over speed it...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CSI lol. I thought so, how much the ats housing, the wheel is lkie 80 bones so i might start there but then again i heard that the wheels are harder to put it. Can you feel surge? as i felt nothing just heard it. but also i was not at WOT i might try it on the Freeway today just to narrow it down
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
CSI lol. I thought so, how much the ats housing, the wheel is lkie 80 bones so i might start there but then again i heard that the wheels are harder to put it. Can you feel surge? as i felt nothing just heard it. but also i was not at WOT i might try it on the Freeway today just to narrow it down

Your not going to feel it at WOT... only when just rolling into it, about 12-15# boost... In bad case's you can feel it, I know with my GTP-38r and the 1.00 housing it would shake the truck just before it stalled out!!!

Try the WW... If it doesnt work your only out $80... Its not that bad of an install...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks csi, appriciate it where you think the best place to get a WW would be?? thats what im gonna do! And at lunch today i jumped on the freeway and let er eat on level 3 and it did not do it, it only did it on level 4,5 so i think the added HP is what did it. if that dont fix it il go to ATS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.