egt install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egt install

when you guys installed your egt probe when you were drilling and tapping what did you do to keep shavings from getting into your system. i was just wondering cause its gonna be a pain to take the up pipe off. any other ways to do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
you can coat your drill tip with greas so that it picks up the shavings and people also turn on the truck so that as soon as you go through it spits it out ..... other than that no real way to do it better unless you decide to take out the whole manifold

-Raul
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did both, to an extent with the grease atleast. I used lots of WD-40. Just cept washing it.

Was really easy to do. And i was totally done in about 30 minutes.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:44 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Dont use grease it can get stuck up in there with the shavings in it just drill it out tap it and either take a magnet into the hole or a shop vac most shavings will just fall out because of the way the drillbit works anyway
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 AM

Think about it for a second... Your drilling UP... do things fall up??? Drill, Tap, and install probe...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I have noticed everyone has there only little tips, and ideas on this. They all pretty much work the same. To me I think placement of the probe is a little more important then drilling and tapping the hole for it.

Most say the driverside exhaust manifold because it is easy to get to. That is where I recommend you put it as well.

I put my pyro in the top of the driverside exhaust manifold. I drilled down. I used grease to prevent shavings getting into the exhaust. Then I used a shop vac. Then I finished up my install and started the truck up and I have yet to have any problems from my install of the pyro.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 AM

Anything that does fall UP... Into the manifold will blow right thru the turbo with no issues... Your turbo is not some fragile piece of glass... it spins at 40,000rpm's and see's temps in excess of 1200 on a daily basis..
Old 08-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just lightly i mean lightly coated the bit with grease, and drill slow cast irpn is soft so it goes easy then i tapped it and used this extendo magnet from home depot cost a buck and it grabbed everything out of the manifold there was quite abit in there. and its all good easy to do
Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 PM

I used a magnet, and it seemed to work well. I wasn't too worried about anything left in there. I agree with csi, the turbo is pretty tough, and whatever was left was pushed quickly before the turbo started spinning too fast
Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to WILLIAM LORCH
I agree with CSI.... i did mine ,and hte drill bit is made to let hte chips fall down the fluits DO NOT use greese on it ... the chips fall down because of gravity,(wear glases), Dont worry about ne thing getting in2 the turbo,, think of it you are drilling in2 the exhaust side this is hot 2 say hte least its on X it side not the intake it wount getinto the engine it leaves the truck..If you are realy concerned after drilling and tapping magnitize a allen set, put it in hte hole nad see if ne thing sticks 2 it... good luck Bill Its a easy job if you have everything together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.