what mods first - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what mods first

Just picked up bone stock 2000 f250 with 7.3 4r100 4x4. 143000 miles other than warn hubs and a wicked wheel what mods would you recommend for fuel milage and maybe a bit of power. This truck is going to be used mostly for commuting. But will spend sometime offroad to get to my favorite fishing hole maybe pulling a couple broken jeeps and chebys every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Start with the basics and go from there. A good DIY intake(Cheap) or afe, banks, etc-anywhere from $50-350, a good free flowing exhaust-around $4-500 installed, custom chip-around $200-500 if you can find used it would be cheaper, A regulated return fuel system is an awesome upgrade and one of the first mods I think you should do(Something Ford should have done from the factory)-around $350-600 if you make your own or buy a kit, a hpx cross over to smooth out the oil flow-about$50 bucks. I think this is a good stage 1 setup that makes these powerstrokes very competitive on the street with a lot of reliability included. I would say for you that would be a great starting point but I believe you will be bitten by the power bug. Anything above that and you will want to focus on transmission upgrades along the lines of torque converter and valve body upgrades. Then you should upgrade your high pressure oil pump to support the injectors you will want to get. A 38r would be a great turbo upgrade if you think you will stop right about here. This is stage 2 to me and I think this is where it starts to get pretty spendy. After this the limit is how much money you have in your wallet. Good luck and enjoy the truck!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 PM

any recommendations on a company to get teh chip thru. Im going wiht the sct for my 6.0 truck but havent dealt to much with the 7.3s.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your gona be throwing many go fast parts at the engine you may want to address the tranny with a valve body and possibly a torque converter. As far as chips go its a toss up, wildman, DP, PHP, beans, etc. take your pick.
Jim
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

If you are gonna put ANY more power it, get you a set of gauges first! Trans temp boost and Pyro....
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM

I would start with an exhaust and intake to get the air flowing for better efficiency.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Good suggestions....

If it were me, and knowing what limited info I have learned from here already,,, I would also do a couple other small but yet very helpful down-the-road things once you do get started.

first--- Have you noticed any small oil leaks ? ? is the valley of the motor dry or have diesel/oil in there? ----this will make sense later..

As already mentioned Air In / Air Out very helpful. Good filter as DIY 6637 and a 4inch exhaust will enhance anything else you do down the road.

But if it were me, while setting on top of the motor doing some of the mods mentioned above,,, I would attack some of the inherient leaks your truck either HAS or GONNA HAVE! These friggin trucks have 9742 orings in em' that are going to leak at one time or another! ( not really that many),,,
Fuel drain orings on the bowel and ped o rings come to mind first. I'd also replace the IC boots while up there too. Easy to do if you are addressing things such as Wicked Wheel replacement, oil X-over line, foil delete,etc,.

There's nothing more frustrating to me than to have just finished an install of some gizmo on yer motor and yer all happy and glad it's over,,,, only to find out the next time you pop the hood to Gawk at your new doodads,,, you see a friggin' oil leak right underneath that nice pretty, expensive gizmo you installed last week...... been there too many times like that on my truck already......

RB
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM

been looking for more info on the foil delete what is it how does it help. the only mention i ever see of it is someone saying theyve done it. Not really looking for much power gain just mpg the 6.0 truck is going to be the fast one the 7.3 is for getting to the fishing spots and towing the 6.0 when it breaks. Of course it's also a commuter truck close to 30000 miles a year. if i can pull 20 miles to the gallon cruising at 75 then i dont have to feel stupid for getting rid of my towncar.

Last edited by d and b installer; 01-19-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

The foil delete does nothing but make more noise....there is NO performance gain what so ever!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 AM

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogv21 View Post
The foil delete does nothing but make more noise....there is NO performance gain what so ever!
I was not intending anyone to believe the delete was a gain ,,, simply a mod a lot of guys do when they get started on moddin'.

RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.