Aftermarket Engine Rebuild Parts: Info and review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket Engine Rebuild Parts: Info and review

Not having any luck searching I've decided to start a thread for 7.3 drivers specifically to come and post what parts they've added to rebuild their engine or replace in their engine: Crank, rods, pistons, rings, heads, valves, valve springs bearings ect ect. any and all details.
(if you've rebuilt your engine you could also list the specs of your rebuild)

Im hoping this can be a thread to give people a direction for rebuilding their engine completely top to bottom with information to help them choose the brand that works best for their application and need.

Please include: brand, what you use your truck for, part(s), how it preforms and is holding up and last but not least the millage thus far since the install of the part(s).

No limit on what you use your truck for: stock, towing, sled pulling, drag racing ect.

Please no problem or help with install posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just did a rebuild on a 7.3 engine. The engine had many miles on it to say the least with lots of blow by. It need a complete re-build.

I used Mahle pistons in the re-build. Mahle makes a great piston for the Powerstrokes. The Sealed Power rings came with the pistons also. Sealed power pin bushings were used for the engine. Melling oil pump. You have to have good oil pressure in the Powerstrokes so I would use a Melling pump in any type of re-build. Clevite/Durabond bearings for the cam, main and rod journals. I try to buy American parts when I can even if it costs more.

My 7.3 had many many miles on it. Once the machine shop disassembled the engine for the machine work, they measured the crank and informed me it didn't need to be turned. I went over and measured the crank myself and was impressed that the crank didn't need to be cut at all. The timing gears and the roller cam don't ever wear out it looks like, if regular maintenance was preformed on the engine. The connecting rods were perfectly round also with no re-sizing work needed on them. New Ford head bolts are in order or some head studs, old bolts are sent to the recycle bin. New lifters were installed too. Too many miles on the lifters to trust them in a rebuilt engine. I believe the lifters were Engine Pro guys.

New valves and valve springs went into the re-built heads. The valves were worn out and cupped very bad to where reworking them was impossible. The valves I used were S/S valves and springs. Made in Brazil and quality pieces. In fact a lot of International engines are built in Brazil for American Ford trucks such as the 7.3 were. New valve seals come in the gasket kit and the old retainers, keepers, rocker arms and push rods were used in the project. Inspect all of the old pieces that you are going back in the engine for damage or wear. If any get rid of them and get new pieces. Just like a chain a engine is only as strong as it's weakest link.

The gasket set was a EPWI guy. It is the parent company to Fel-pro I believe and markets gaskets sets to machine shops mostly under this brand name. Mine was a stock re-build with new Alient injectors installed also. This should be a good starting point for parts needed for a stock rebuild.

I would also add new injector wiring harness for each side to be installed when the engine is out and easy to get to. The F-250 will be used for towing purposes mostly. My engine builders here in Houston does great work. Very dillegent in their work which you do pay for. Get a good machine shop that will do the job correctly is at the top of the list when rebuilding your engine.

Last edited by Houstonvett; 01-15-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Houston Vett,
Thanks for posting up your rebuild and part and review info. That's exactly the kind of posts i'm looking to get here. Eventually hopefully it can be sort of a reference library to help people decide what to put into their engine.

One thing I was going to ask is how your cylinders were when they opened up the engine prior to the rebuild and what you ended up doing. With as much blow-by as you described im sure they needed some work. I know there's a couple options when it comes to the cylinders themselves, and would like to see what different people have done and how its working for them.

Thanks again for posting, best of luck with the fresh engine it sounds awesome.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The most important part of any engine rebuild is getting the cylinders perfectly round again. If the cylinders aren't round you will be losing HP/compression which isn't good in a rebuilt engine. IMO it is best to bore the block and hone the cylinders so the oversized pistons sits in the hole just like they are supposed too. This is the best way to make sure you engine gets full HP and service life from the rebuild. Anything else you do to the cylinders besides boring and honing them for oversize pistons is a waste of time, IMO. I hope this information helps the Forum members in rebuilding their engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke99 View Post
Houston Vett,
Thanks for posting up your rebuild and part and review info. That's exactly the kind of posts i'm looking to get here. Eventually hopefully it can be sort of a reference library to help people decide what to put into their engine.

One thing I was going to ask is how your cylinders were when they opened up the engine prior to the rebuild and what you ended up doing. With as much blow-by as you described im sure they needed some work. I know there's a couple options when it comes to the cylinders themselves, and would like to see what different people have done and how its working for them.

Thanks again for posting, best of luck with the fresh engine it sounds awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.