best 7.3l mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best 7.3l mods?

Been doing some searching just trying to see what will be best for the power level we are trying to get to.
Going to do a full turbo back exhaust with no muffler.
intake
6.0 intercooler
custom tune
built trans and converter..

This will be a daily driver, and a tow truck primarily. I do want it to make some power to screw around with.
Do I need to do anything with injectors or fuel system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You don't need to do anything to your injectors or fuel system to get where you want to be. You have a nice list started there. I would definitely add gauges like boost, pyro, and trans temp. Get a custom tuned TS chip and you will probably be about where you want to be. I would do the chip and intake and exhaust before fully deciding to get the 6.0 intercooler. Some say it makes a difference and some say its so minor that its not worth doing. Do your mods and then see how your egts are before spending the money for that mod. If its going to be your tow rig then you might think about the larger 6.0 trans cooler as that is a very good addition to keep your trans temps down.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I like those newer style mirrors on your white truck too!

I was just actually reading about doing the upgraded trans cooler. I was planning on doing gauges just forgot to mention that. For the most part I want it to be a basic bolt on truck, but I want to do a lot of different exterior mods..
HID's, LED's, newer headlights and taillights, and probably mirrors now that i saw yours! haha
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do u have pm rods? If so that limits u and u could use stage 1 injectors but don't over do it on pmr's
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM

But polar bear is right. I have a DP F5 I love it and it's safe and I have plenty of power to be satisfied. Especially if it's ur daily driver. Stick with a custome tune and exhaust. Personally the stock air intake is fine the K&N aftermarket fipk is a huge waste of money and the K&N replacement filter does not seat correctly on the stock intake box. We had one and it wasent worth it. It did not fit right
Old 01-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
my question to you is how much HP do you want to make... everything you have listed will get you to around 320hp to the wheels max... your stock injectors basically cap out at about that HP level... i recommend a 6.0L trans cooler as well and a valve body upgrade.... i also suggest going with DIY intake or something like a S&B full cold air intake kit...

let me know if you have any questions or need any prices... we can hook you up with some good deals

-Raul
Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

PM rods? I'm not sure what those are?
Honestly I don't have a HP figure in my head that I would like to make, I just want something fun to drive on the street. It's my DD, I don't want to go crazy.. It's main job is to tow the trailer that hauls my crazy cars. haha
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

On the 02 and 03 7.3 and up ford uses powdered metal rods instead of forged which is weaker and limits u to pretty much 400hp. Any more and u greatly risk the chance of throwing a rod. That's not worth it unless u have money to rebuild ur engine. A DP, Tony wildman or php chip is all u need the cooler will help keep egts down. U don't need injectors or a bigger turbo unless u wanted a turbo that will spool faster and b safe. Injectors run a little over a thousand and stage 1 won't make a huge difference. Just a tuner will be fine for u and not that banks junk generic tunes that won't fine tune ur trans shift points
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What about meth injection for towing? We go through the smokies pretty often heading down south for racing and the EGT's like to climb... Would that be a good idea?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Some 02 and 03 has forged to deplet their line of forged rods but u would have to check and it is very slim. 0 and earlier has forged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.