Whats the most reliable hp and tq - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whats the most reliable hp and tq

Hey guys just bought my first 7.3L diesel truck. Its a 2000 F250 6 speed with 155,000 miles. Truck has pyro and boost gauges, air intake, exhaust and 50hp chip (which i didn't look into). I use the truck as a DD and plan on towing some stuff nothing over 8,000lbs. My question is i want to make more power but what is the most power you can make keeping the truck reliable and fuel efficient? is 150hp and 350tq to much to ask? or can i get more? What should be my next mods to the truck? Im looking to pull the turbo and fix some of the valley leaks im finding. Should i do the "wicked wheel" white its apart? i also ordered the ccv delete and plan on doing that. thanks for any help in advance. Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Find out what connecting rods are in the engine first. The Powdered Metal Rods are good to about 400hp but nothing more. The 99's and some of the 2000's had stronger forged rods that can handle more. Also, do you want a 150hp and 350tq increase over stock? I'd say get a trans temp gauge, fuel pressure gsauge, a bigger trans cooler, a better fuel return setup, a TS chip and call it a day. The WW might be a good idea too. Do some reading on here. I've found TONS and TONS and TONS of good info on here.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the response. I thought the 01-03 had the powered Rods and the 99-2000 had the forged rods. I member seeing something about that on here i will search to find out then. Yes i would like 150hp and 350tq over stock, more would be great too. I have a trans temp gauge but its not hooked up so ill drill a hole in the pto cover and install that. I did do alot of reading before i posted this thread i just couldn't seem to find the answer i was looking for. thanks again
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
Find out what connecting rods are in the engine first. The Powdered Metal Rods are good to about 400hp but nothing more. The 99's and some of the 2000's had stronger forged rods that can handle more. Also, do you want a 150hp and 350tq increase over stock? I'd say get a trans temp gauge, fuel pressure gsauge, a bigger trans cooler, a better fuel return setup, a TS chip and call it a day. The WW might be a good idea too. Do some reading on here. I've found TONS and TONS and TONS of good info on here.
This is correct but he said he wanted fuel economy. If he is pushing enough power to blow PMR's, he's not gonna be getting anything near good fuel economy. I would say throw in a TW or Beans chip with a daily and a tow on it and call it good. Your tranny might be on its last leg with that many miles on it.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Didnt see that part about your truck being a 6 speed. Tranny will be fine no need for a temp gauge on it either.....
Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM

thanks for the info. Should i pull the tranny gauge out and put a fuel pressure gauge in? also how much would i be gaining with the chip you suggested? What kinda of fuel millage should i get? thanks kyle
Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No real need for a fuel guage at the HP your going for IMO but doesn't hurt..if your going for HP you should be getting a reg return and getting rid of the fuel bowl.

Good set of tunes with a strong 17* stock pump..330HP Better pump, fuel mods and better turbo some are getting much more..
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive got the same set up as you and when I ordered my TW tunes, I was told to expect around 320-330hp, with a straight pipe and a DIY intake. thats 90-100 hp over stock near as I can figure. It seems to me once you start looking at HP much higher than that things get expensive.
I pulled my chip and sent it for some tweaking today, and you can definately feel the difference without it.
Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oops, don't remember reading the 6 speed part. No trans temp gauge or cooler needed for you. I read on here somewhere that had all the engine serial numbers that had the PMR rods in them. I'll see if I can find where I read that.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

PMR or forged connecting rods in my 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.