AIS Severe Duty Air fillter kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AIS Severe Duty Air fillter kit

A farmer that lives near me that has two 7.3 PSD highly recommended that i upgrade my 99 F-250 factory air cleaner and box up to this kit to help fight the dirt that goes along with farming. He says that the trucks seam to run better and that the filter does a lot better job of catching dirt that the factory filter. But before i go out and spend the $200 that it cost to get one of these i thought i would as on here. My truck will be a farm truck pulling hay and driving in fields so dirt control could be a problem. Here is a link to what i'm look at. Motorcraft FA-1759 Ford 7.3 Power Stroke AIS Severe Duty Air Filter Kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

DIY

i wouldnt worry much about it. i think the 6637 diy intake with a custom filter cover can keep out enough anything. you would be amazed and what ford puts through your turbo from the factory. i use mine hard. just make sure you use a good brand paper air filter thats waterproof. super easy, cool turbo whistle, sharp looking custom covers, CHEAP. google 6637 air filter mod or cover it all pops right up. you can also search this forum using the search tab above, its very popular.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM

I went from factory to a 6637 and then dumped it in the trash in favor of the Ford AIS system. The 6637 is popular because it is cheap and filters well. It has more than one major drawback. The first one is noise! That thing is freaking loud which is fine for awhile but when you actually work the engine like when making long heavy tows it gets very annoying. The other drawback is that it just lays there in the engine compartment exposed to abrasion and water.

The Ford AIS system looks factory and has excellent filtration, flow, and is as quiet as stock.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabach View Post
A farmer that lives near me that has two 7.3 PSD highly recommended that i upgrade my 99 F-250 factory air cleaner and box up to this kit.... Here is a link to what i'm look at. Motorcraft FA-1759 Ford 7.3 Power Stroke AIS Severe Duty Air Filter Kit
My diesel mechanic recommended it as well and for $203 for a complete kit and made Ford Motor Co. IMO def. the best option over stock.
I'm getting ready to buy one as well.

Edit: Just ordered it.

Last edited by Mack; 02-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM

I just installed mine today. Very easy install, looks great, and truck does seem to run better and have a little more power. Imo you can hear the turbo spool up a little faster, and it IS a little louder than stock, but not much. Very happy with it so far! And i did the Zoodad mod while i was at it
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine should be here Sat. and will probably do the zoodad mod as well. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 PM

I was told by a good friend at the local ford dealership(CEO) that the only reason they didn't put these in to begin with, is the people who take it to the dealer every time the "service engine" light comes on in the middle of Chicago didn't need a filter like that, so Ford's saving money...

It DOES have better air flow and filtration than stock, but filters are expensive if you don't clean them regularly.
By that, I mean the stock filters are meant to be used then disposed, they're cheap, I blow my AIS filter out with air compressor from the top, then use a vac on the bottom at least once a month and it still looks brand new.
If you use it on terribly dusty (like super fine clay, finer than sand) roads you'll dump so much dirt out of that filter you think you emptied a bucket...

Don't forget to do the Zoodad mod while your in there, I gained ~2mpg between the two!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM

the AIS is a great intake. i had it on my other truck and its an awesome filtering intake. the stock airboxes are kinda crappy and sometimes dont "mesh back together" when you put it back together. the AIS air filter is pretty big and almost looks like a hepa filter. either intake is a good option...you could always try the DIY tymar intake as its cheap and if you hate it order the AIS.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red43 View Post
I just installed mine today. Very easy install, looks great, and truck does seem to run better and have a little more power. Imo you can hear the turbo spool up a little faster, and it IS a little louder than stock, but not much. Very happy with it so far! And i did the Zoodad mod while i was at it
I'm glad this thread came back so to save me from having to start a new one.

I've been researching/reading all morning about the AIS and finally decided to go with that over the Tymar on my 01' F-350 PSD. I plan on attaching the fender wall boot into the box along with the Zoodad but not sure how a Zoodad would tie into the system. Isn't the AIS fed by it's own dedicated air intake opening on the right side of the grill? If so, how would a Zoodad help since the filter is inside a box?
Plus, looking through the grill where the hole should go, on my 01' it's painted metal, not fiberglass. I rather not have to saw through that unless I know what I'm doing.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman 3 View Post

Isn't the AIS fed by it's own dedicated air intake opening on the right side of the grill? If so, how would a Zoodad help since the filter is inside a box?
Plus, looking through the grill where the hole should go, on my 01' it's painted metal, not fiberglass. I rather not have to saw through that unless I know what I'm doing.

im going to try and explain it the best i can so bare with me...lol. the easiest way for me to explain it, is take a look at your existing air box/battery tray...if you look just to the left of your driver side battery there is a "snorkel" that goes towards your grille. the AIS has one of these snorkels too but its easier to see because it eliminates the whole battery box thing. if you follow where that snorkel ends up you will see it goes to a fiberglass header panel. i went onto google images and typed in "zoodad mod". the first picture on the top left shows right where you should make your cut. i hope i helped you and didnt confuse you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.