Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tuning? Say What?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  countryraised 
#1 ·
I've got a buddy who is about to start a 7.3 project. The truck he's looking at already has the TS 6 position chip. He said he was just going to take the chip off and send it to PHP (Power Hungry Performance) and have them reburn it. He's wanting to make good power of this truck and I was wondering about DP Tuner. I've seen so many threads with people saying "DP TUNER! DP TUNER! DP TUNER!" So wha would be the best approach, send the chip off to PHP? or sell the chip and get the DP Tuner?

How much power would we see from PHP?
How much power would we see from DP Tuner?

#2 ·
I would stick with a TS type chip.

With stock injectors it doesnt matter who's chip your running, there all going to be about the same MAX HP out of 140cc of fuel.

You have lots of options with a TS chip,

PHP, Beans, DI, Gearhead, Swamps, TS, Tony Wildman...

With DP... Your stuck with DP...

I myself, would NEVER run DP tuning in any of my rig's EVER again.

#4 ·
I have a ts chip and Im thinking either php or tw for a reburn. I hear good things about beans, but they are almost twice as much for a reburn.

I couldnt find a whisper(drive through) for tw and that might be why I will go with php. I also know that php lists they will do as few tunes as you want which could keep the cost down for me because I already have the "no start" and "high idle" so that way I could only pay for the four tunes that I would replace.

#8 ·
if he has a TS style chip no sense in spending another $400ish on a dp. and like ^ they have said just re-burn for $150 and be done. also Elite Diesel is another tuner to put on the list.

#9 ·
I just put my DP on and I love it. The customer service is great. When it all comes down to it, a truck with stock parts will only gain a certain amount of HP & Torque. Also you have to consider into fact does his 7.3 have PMR if so that pretty much limits him to just a tuner, possibly stage 1 injectors and maybe a aftermarket turbo that is not much greater but one that will spool faster. My friend had a Duramax and his lope idle was sick so I got one to haha. Another thing to consider is that when people order tuners for their truck its not the same as a live tune, meaning the tunes will be even better if the truck is on hand to tune. But going with a dp F6 live tuner would be good, their is nothing wrong with DP.

#11 ·
DP is prrobably good, but if he already has a TS chip he's definitely money ahead by having PHP reburn it, or getting burned for a FU chip. I am very happy with my PHP tunes and the customer service I got.

#12 ·
I chose DP cuse everyone said they and tony wildman were the top 2. I am sure others are good as well but most said those 2. When it comes down to it my truck is stock other than my tuner so you can only make so much power with stock injectors and turbo plus the hpop will only put out so much. I am sure i have pmr's so that basically limits me to 400hp, it sux but id rather not take the chance of breaking a rod. But really i am sure everyone does a good job at tuning for not having the vehicle at their shop. except for generic banks haha.

#13 ·
ask Jody or Tony about Bill at PHP, He taught them alot of what they know (no, not all). He was the 7.3 guy for Superchips and Edge, still a consultant for Edge.
and I agree you can only expect so much with out true live tuning, and alot more go fast parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.