What kind of gains can I expect? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of gains can I expect?

I have a Superchips 1805 programmer, and I'm very disappointed in the mileage, I was getting 15.5 stock (hand calculated) with the programmer, one tank I would get 15.7 the next tank 17.2, next tank back down to mid 15's. If I do the DIY intake and a 4 or 5" exhaust what kind of mileage increase can I expect? I know with the cold weather here the mileage wont be great but when it warms up I'd be happy if I could keep a consistent 18 mpg, is that expecting too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 04:32 PM

I also have code p1248: Turbo boost pressure not detected. Not sure what causes that but could that be bringing my mileage down too?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Of Burden View Post
I also have code p1248: Turbo boost pressure not detected. Not sure what causes that but could that be bringing my mileage down too?
MAP sensor reads boost...could be the tuner or a bad MAP or wires..

loose the SC and get a custom tune.. exhaust wont do anything really but make noise and lower EGTs a hair.. cut your stock muffler off your good for 400HP

17-18 might be in your grasp.keep it under 65 miles an hr
Old 12-24-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_Turbo7.3 View Post

cut your stock muffler off your good for 400HP
Yeah I wish.

Im not really looking for a bunch of noise, for exhaust I was thinking the Flowmaster Hushpower 4" turbo back. Intake I'll make myself. Would custom tunes REALLY be better than what I have? I never and I really mean never race my truck, hell I dont even take off fast from a stop light ( im 25 but I drive like I'm 75), so performance tunes are not going to do me any good, but if the tuners have better econ tunes Im all for it. I tow maybe once per year and its usually less than 5,000lbs, haul up to 1,000 2 or three times per year, truck came with a plow that I've used once, didnt really need to, only had 3" but I wanted to play. I might be selling the plow so I might not even have to worry about plowing next year. Are there any tunes that I would benefit from?

Sorry for the long post
Old 12-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Of Burden View Post
Yeah I wish.

Im not really looking for a bunch of noise, for exhaust I was thinking the Flowmaster Hushpower 4" turbo back. Intake I'll make myself. Would custom tunes REALLY be better than what I have? I never and I really mean never race my truck, hell I dont even take off fast from a stop light ( im 25 but I drive like I'm 75), so performance tunes are not going to do me any good, but if the tuners have better econ tunes Im all for it. I tow maybe once per year and its usually less than 5,000lbs, haul up to 1,000 2 or three times per year, truck came with a plow that I've used once, didnt really need to, only had 3" but I wanted to play. I might be selling the plow so I might not even have to worry about plowing next year. Are there any tunes that I would benefit from?

Sorry for the long post

First things first.... Do not and i mean Dont ever feel bad for writing a long post, i actual prefer it, the more info i get from you the better i can help adress the problem..

The 4" system will do nothing more then your stock will do without a muffler, the egts may be down a notch but that is it, power wise youll never see the benefits of 4" until over 400 hp lol The 4" will be noisy

Im 26 and trust me..i drive like a saint most the time but i like power haha, the custom tunes have better tranny shifting and better econ modes..now if you just leave it in econ all the time and baby your truck..just keep the super chips, but id still opt for custom tunes before anything else.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:13 PM

I really do baby my truck so Ill probly stick with what Ive got and do the intake, I like power just as much as the next guy I just dont have the cash to fix it when I break it, lol. Thanks man
Old 12-25-2010, 06:21 AM

cut the mufler,get an diy intake and a tuner with economy tune
i just got my dp tuner and love it (after 4 days i am still enjoying the 60e
i need some dry pavement for the highest tune i got the 100 tune )
(for $80 dp tuning can burn a tune on your pcm)
Old 12-25-2010, 06:49 AM

who needs dry pavement Also yeah your exhaust is good just cut the muffler off. and if you want the best mpgs get a custom tuner with like a 120hp setting. The higher the better just keep ur foot outa it
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 AM

Thanks guys, I'll probly call dp next week and see what they can do for me. I ran my Superchip on the highest performance setting, I kept my foot out of it but it still made me nervous, I just had the trans rebuilt and I dont want to do it again for a long time
Old 12-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Running a superchip 1705 and no probs. best canned tunes out there honestly. But yes obviously i will be getting custom tunes soon but its definitely nice to have a chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.