Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ok, please tell me if I've got this straight...(long)

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  audioguru76 
#1 ·
I have a 02 f350 psd auto :woot:. I recently purchased an Edge Evo CS with the intent of trying the canned tunes, and if they sucked I'd have PHP mod it to a Gryphon. When I went to install the CS I got a non stock program error! so I was like :dunno: ! I bought the truck used almost 2 years ago. So I figured I'd check for plug in chips...I start poking around the ECU and what do I see peeking out:

OK, so I figured I had an old Diablochip (based on some of the stuff I'd seen online). But turns out the port is empty, and it's just the label still stuck to the case. This would have been nice, since I could have just pulled the chip and been in business (plus sold the chip for a few bucks!). :hehe:

So I contact Edge and they have been great on helping me try to get this thing back to stock so I can install the CS...HOWEVER..after 2 firmware updates it still won't program my truck. (I will be on the phone with tech support again tomorrow to try some more).

Now, that I find out my truck has (some sort of) a tune already on it, I'm kinda bummed . I've always thought my truck was kinda doggy off the line, and I figure it's got somewhere between 40-60HP tune on it :doh: (Diablo perhaps?). Alright, here's what this all leads up to:

If I buy a multiposition chip (leaning towards PHP FU or similar) that plugs into the port on the ECU will that still require reflash to stock first? :tard: The way I understand these ECUs is that whatever program/chip/whatever is installed in the port will override whatever is flashed on the 'main' board.

So, for example if I get a Multi chip with 'stock' as one level will that be the tune that is loaded in the main board, or a true STOCK calibration loaded onto the Multi chip? I assume the latter... Basically, I only need/want a couple tunes (not looking to scatter my 7.3 all over the road) for daily drivability, occasional moderately heavy towing, and a little fun every once in a while. That's why I figured the Edge CS would be OK for me (KOEO programming not a big issue since I wouldn't change that often) and I do NOT want a pillar full of guages. I'll most likely just sell my Edge Evo CS and buy a Multi chip along with an Insight CTS for monitoring.

Cliffs: if you plug a chip into the port on an ECU does it require a true stock program to be in the main board?

Thanks in advance...be gentle :wink[3]:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure if a true stock tune is required for another chip to work. I think the "stock" position on a selectable chip has it's own "stock" tune in that spot, NOT using your actual PCM's "stock" tune. I only say this because I bought a TS chip used, and on "stock" it will barely accelerate. I think it is loaded with a "stock" OBS tune, the guy said something about it being on an OBS but then being re-burned. I don't know. I run 140 setting, and it's got more balls than my old Superchips 80HP, so I'm happy for now. It turns on my SES when I let off the pedal most of the time, I should probably get it re burned haha

#3 ·
the way i understood it was that the 6 position chips stock position is essentially that, stock. it does not alter your computer in any way. it also requires you to have a stock computer. now again its the way i understood it, and I probably am wrong...

#4 ·
I can't say for SURE what the deal is. I only told you MY experience so far! Now, I guess how I'd know for sure if the #1 (stock) position of my chip is using my computer's stock program would be....take the chip out completely. But I seem to remember my stock NO CHIP truck having much more power than it does with my chip in "stock" position. Leading me to believe the chip itself contains some sort of tune in the "stock" position. Make sense?

#5 ·
im running php now, and no you wont have ta have it reburnt, you dont have ta have stock on your chip, but if you choose ta have stock you have ta know what your computer is set up for, i believe

#7 ·
yes sir, that is if you want a stock position, im having mine taken off, (if i want stock just unplug chip) but yes, php is thee most thuro of asking questions for your chips,

#8 ·
I would call PHP and ask them, Cody and Bill are both very helpful, but do it now, they are closed next week. I do not believe they will need the pcm re-burnt ( I could be wrong). and I am pretty certain if you choose a "stock" setting on the chip it will be it's own program, not using the one on the pcm. But I would call them.

#9 ·
yeah, I just hated to bother them when I know they are busy with customer work...I hate to be the guy that asked the dumb question with a long answer causing others to wait. lol.

maybe an email so they can get to it after the holidays...

#10 ·
yall are mostly correct a TS (or DP) will override any chip you have "flashed" in the PCM and the "stock" tune is just a de-tunned program that feels/shifts like stock. and yes if you put a TS chip in even with another programmer (one that flashes the PCM) like a SCT/Diablo/Edge will over ride it and use the 6pos as the tunes.

BTW you wont be disapointed! and alot of guys are using the CTS/whatever it is called for just gauges and many say they love it, as for me I was in the same boat of not wanting a bunch of stuff on my pillar so I went with a glowshift (dont judge :hehe:) 3in1 so I only have one to look at. and I love it! and other than my own wireing :doh: it works great esp for the price.

#11 · (Edited)
update: on the phone with Edge I remembered that I had done a 'try before you buy' Bully Dog program. Instantly, the guy at Edge knew what was up. Evidently, the BullyDog leaves a 'footprint' that shows up as a non stock program (checksum error).

I have mixed feelings on this news. On one hand, my truck is NOT programmed so once the Edge is connected I will see a significant gain. On the other hand, I have to have the ECU reflashed for $95 at the dealer (there went the money I saved on not buying gauges). :( you gotta pay to play I guess.

I'll be sure to update after tomorrow if that was for sure the fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.