tuner questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 AM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
tuner questions

i have a 99 PSD with 26x,xxx miles on it and it has an automatic. I am looking to get a tuner for the truck. something i can alter when i need to based on where I am.. meaning once I get back from deployment I will be moving from Fort Carson Colorado (elevation 7,000 feet roughly), to Fort Stewart Georgia (sea level) with that being said I am not trying to kill my auto transmission. I am just looking for a little ooomphh while towing a car trailer and a little more for daily driving and off roading. If I dont have a tuner that gives the most power of all of them thats fine too. I am just looking for the best for my buck. My budget for this, a 4" turbo back exhaust (no muffler) and my DIY intake will be under $1,000.00 so keep that in mind too thanks, Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To save money I would say just cut the muffler out and clamp a piece of pipe in its place or have a muffler shop weld it up for you. Get about 6'' of 4'' pipe and a hose clamp and put a 6637 intake in. Then with the rest of the money, you can go with anything from a bully dog or superchips to fully custom tuning. You say tuner so I would suggest a diablosport predator. I have a couple buddies that run them and they arent to bad for a generic plug in tuner. A more expensive way to go is a custom chip from TW, PHP, Beans, the list goes on. A chip 'usually' will give you all around better performance over a tuner. It all depends on what you want and what you want to spend. Also, I would say invest in gauges, at least an EGT gauge but a trans temp is good to have also. Autometer and isspro make the better gauges, and glowshift makes decent gauges for a little cheaper.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 AM
live for the now

so a predator would be alright for my intentions? i had one for my Chrysler 300c with a hemi, and loved what it did for my car.

i was told the exhaust, the intake and a diablo would give me about 300-325 hp at the wheels and about 700-750 ft lbs of torque at the wheels... is this true?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would get a TS chip with custom tunes..best performance and best for your trans..I can get your exhaust, chip and intake for your budjet..PM me.

Is your truck a early 99? If so you will be needing a 17* HPOP or a SRP1 Stealth.

You will need guages with a chip..

Cary
Old 11-24-2010, 10:41 AM
live for the now

whats a TS chip and a hpop and srp1?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
TS chip is a 6 position chip that pigggybacks on the PCM and allows switching on the fly. The TS chips can have custom tunes by many great tuners.

HPOP High Pressure Oil Pump..what takes your engine oil and presuresizes it to 2500psi+- to drive the injector pistons to push out the fuel..short story.

SRP1:

Stecher Performance LLC. Would like to formally introduce the new Stealth SRP Stage I pump to you. This new pump has been in development for over a year now and is finally ready for release. The Stealth SRP1 pump is designed for the 94.5’ to 03’ 7.3L and 03’ to 04’ 6.0L Powerstroke engines. The Stealth SRP1 pump is a “Stock Replacement Pump”, SRP1, that will give you Stage I performance in a stock pump housing! We have addressed all of the stock HPOP housing flaws while at the same time increasing internal displacement by almost 50%! This is an increase of over twice the displacement that our competitors are offering in their pumps! These new pumps have all new internal components for a reliable operation. Inside these new pumps there are all new larger billet pistons combined with a new 18-degree billet swash plate that still retains stock reliability while increasing displacement by almost 50%! With the new larger pistons and new swash plate we have managed to increase displacement to 10.45cc vs. the stock 6.8cc or 7.2cc pumps. All pumps are designed with dual ABEC-5 ball bearings for added stability during operation instead of a rear bronze bushing like the stock pump late model pump uses. All of the snap rings, o-rings, and seals are new. We have machined the 3 high-pressure output ports from #6ORB fittings to #8ORB fittings resulting in twice the thread surface area, which means no more stripped or blown out fittings. We have also machined the edge filter plug in the bottom of the pump and taken it from a #3ORB fitting to a #6ORB fitting resulting in twice the thread surface area. We also machine some of the internal passages to ensure proper flow in and out of the pump. These new Stealth SRP Stage I pumps housings are bead blasted and coated with a ceramic base high temperature paint. The front mounting gasket surface area is re-machined flat to ensure a leak free installation. All of our new Stealth SRP1 pumps are rigorously tested to full pressure and full rpm on our test bench for 30 minutes to ensure optimum efficiency and performance before they leave our shop. The Stealth SRP1 comes with everything listed above and is also covered with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Cary
Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
The Warden

I know your asking about tuners,but Edge has a inexspensive programmer that will produce power and comes with the dash pod that allows you to moniter several parameters such oil,trans,exaust temps,although it allows you to make your own custom settings,I have never been able to find a set-up that is friendly to tranny at wot. At normal driving for me it fine,but I am not recommending this product,just telling you what I know about it. good luck
Old 11-24-2010, 08:42 PM
live for the now

whats the opinion on the Edge Evolution?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 PM

its good for smoking a stock tranny. thats about all that edge evolution is good for. even if you wanted a shift on the fly tuner, just get a ts 6 position with canned tuned for now, then when you can, send it in and get custom tunes installed. you will be happy with it either way.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the TS 6 position chip and I love it......costs me 300 bucks to my door. the setting are stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, and 140hp. I have a late model though so the hpop is alittle better. Gonna do a 5.6k mod too to see if it helps at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.