Want reliability. Manual gauges or dash Sct/edge programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want reliability. Manual gauges or dash Sct/edge programmer

I want to do some stuff to my truck, but I need to get gauges first. Quoting me 500 bucks installed for Isspro pyro, boost, and trans temp. Shop suggested the Edge CTS because you get all the gauges plus some for only 100 bucks more. Wouldn't hurt to be able to get oil temp, pressure, and other things for the same cost.

However, most on here don't like the factory tune stuff or Edge stuff in general. The SCT one is nice, but about 1k! I would lean towards the manual gaugues just because I don't care about speed. I just want this truck to last for 10 years. (99 f-250 with 190k.) However, I do read about some of the custom tunes that could account for future exhaust, intake, tires, etc and improve gas mileage so that interests me.

Thoughts. Just go ahead and get the gauges and add a oil temp or something for an extra 80 bucks? Or wait and get a dash mounted computer gauge and custom tune down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

the edge insight, cs, and cts are (imo) the best value out there for gauges. they have nothing to do with tuning your truck, although edge does offer tuning.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 PM

nobody else? The edge product also has some horsepower increases, but I am not interested in that. I am solely looking at the best deal to monitor my truck and hopefully notice problems before they start and make sure it is running well. Gauges seem the first place to start. Then maybe the insight after the gauges or just do the insight or the cts to get the code reader and the electronic gauges.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Firewood Hack

Send a message via MSN to Locust Cutter
Would a SCT Livewire work for your needs? I am still debating on a livewire vs an XF3 + analog gauges or an insight. I know the fancier tuner/display are pretty amazing but I think that a livewire would work fro me. I've just never heard a concrete answer to why an Insight plus a separate loader (XF3, etc) is any better than a Livewire or similar similar setup? Anyone?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would run a dp tuner w/c tunes and Manual gauges just my 2 cents. Try to talk to scagle1 i like his a lot.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Simpleman. Dp? Can you give me the real name for this? Can you extrapolate on why you prefer the manual gauges? I am just wondering if the ability to read codes and look at some of the other readings that a screen based system can provide, even though i cant find a list a of all the available readings those computer provide. oil pressure, rpms, others.....
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM

edge cts and a dp tuner. thats what i would do. the cts displays many more things than standard gauges would. plus easy to install.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makey98 View Post
Simpleman. Dp? Can you give me the real name for this? Can you extrapolate on why you prefer the manual gauges? I am just wondering if the ability to read codes and look at some of the other readings that a screen based system can provide, even though i cant find a list a of all the available readings those computer provide. oil pressure, rpms, others.....
DP IS THE NAME OF THE TUNER AS FOR THE GAUGES I JUST LIKE THE MANUAL GAUGE . IF MY TRUCK HAS A PROBLEM I HOOK IT UP TO A SCANER AND READ CODES
Old 11-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

look for a used insight on here, they are a great bargain.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i recently bought the edge ct for similiar reasons. easy guages and the programming. but beware!! you do have to pay extra for a pyrometer and install it, which takes a few hours to do a good job. it moniters the EGT, which is one of the most important gauges to have.

the other guages are easy as it just plugs into the OBD.

although i do like the guages, mine does not seem to be to accurate on the volts or the HPOP(ICPx100) pressure reading so you may want to do some more research. after i bought the edge, A WHOLE LOT OF FOLKS ON HERE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS NOT THAT GOOD OF A SETUP and that the transmission may be at risk. i have mixed feelings. good luck in your choice

Last edited by rockwind; 11-14-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.