General ideas and tweaks to get more power out of a small budget. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
General ideas and tweaks to get more power out of a small budget.

Hey everyone. Wanted to poll the people on here to get input on getting the most power out of my Super Duty for the least amount of money. A frequently discussed topic I know, because everyone is always trying for the same thing in some way or another.

I have a 99' F250 SD 7.3L 6spd. Current upgrades I've done since getting the truck are a Hypertech Programmer, Highflow Intake, Garrett Turbo Upgrade, Larger Intercooler, 4" downpipe into a 5" short pipe exhaust coming out where the cab and bed meet, etc...

The truck has had a hard life of towing large trailers even before I got it. So I'm looking at replacing the transmission soon because it's starting to fail. With that in mind and the cost of a rebuilt transmission, I wanted some ideas for power mods that I can work on while it's down anyway for the transmission repair. I've only been told hear-say tweaks and other things that friends think "should" work. So I wanted to ask people that might know more about what they're talking about. lol Thanks for the ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
by garrett turbo you mean a 38r? and honestly if you want a real tranny get a BTS, worth every penny. Get rid of the hypertech get a php/tw/beans chip ha take your pick theres alotta great custom tuners.. thats my two cents and sorry nothings really cheap for these trucks..
Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

looks like you need some gauges, on the cheap you can do the ccv mod, 6.0 trans cooler, 6.0 intercooler. bts is the best 4 grand you can spend, other less inexpensive stuff would be new tunin, the new stealth hpop.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

He mentioned he has the 6sp not the auto.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

Your 6spd is failing??? You sure its not just the clutch? There really isn't a 'better' 6spd to put in.. drop another oem 6spd with an upgraded clutch. I would also ditch that hypercrap. You'll get more power, lower egt's, and better mileage from custom tunes such as tony wildman.

And if you've got some change to spend, get an adrenaline hpop and some stage 1 injectors. That truck will MOVE with those parts, and get great mileage.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I have the Garrett 38R. Yes the tranny is failing. Has been for a good while now but still managing to shift with minimum grinding. The Syncros are shot and there's a tooth missing on the 5th gear. Already got the ungraded clutch for when I swap the tranny though. And I think I'll have to get rid of Hypertech now that I haven't heard one good thing about them from anyone I've asked. lol I'll do some shopping around for some new ones and see what I come up with.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

Just do custom tunes (like tony wildman)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.