Theoretical Cost Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Theoretical Cost Thread

My plan is to join the Military and come out with a decent savings. My plans after that is either go to college and use my G.I. right away, or make a call to my Uncle in Wyoming and get hired onto H&P as worm on an oil rig making 60k a year.

My plan as far as a truck goes is to get a 99' or 00' 7.3" powerstroke thats a 4x4, Long bed, Extra cab. My step dad has one in North Dakota as a work truck on an oil rig and it's starting to give out after all the hell we put it through. Most of you if told what that truck has been through would **** a brick and buy 5 more 7.3L's in excitement. Right now the ECM is going out and we have a water leak in below 0 weather and it's still running, not to mention a crap load of other abuse we have put it through.

Now I'll either receive this truck or purchase my own out of the military and heres what I want to do.

Tear down the whole motor and acid bath everything that will be re-used. The cylinders will be honed out and a new valve train installed. I want to keep mostly everything to stock specifications (mild build), and if I choose to upgrade something I want to do it properly. Depending on the condition og the transmission that will be rebuilt aswell. Once I get the truck mechanically sound more improvements will be made such as Front a Rear lockers, Brush Guard with a Winch, Exct.

When I do Front and Rear lockers the front end with be rebuilt and new shocks will be installed all around. The rear will also receive new leafs and overload springs. When I said I wanted the truck rebuilt, I meant rebuilt lol.

As far as completely overhauling a motor and possibly a transmission what would the cost be? Reliability is a significantly larger concern for me than power as I feel the stock power is enough for my tastes, so any added horsepower that keeps me still extremely reliable is ok if you have advice.

Last edited by InfamousLegend; 11-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

umm i dont know what you plan to do in the military but you might want to look at a pay chart before you go joining the military.if you can get a 60k job right now with your uncle i would suggest working for him and saving money.do a lot of research and ask lots of questions before you sign that piece of paper.its a hell of a change in life.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've taken a look at the pay chart, but I'm not satisfied with where I am in life and I feel it will be a good expierience for me. I don't expect a gold mine when I leave but I expect to have some savings, with which will help go towards the truck after I get the job working on an oil rig. Yesterday I turned down the opportunity to work for a seperate company out in North Dakota as a Mud Hand getting paid 18.75/hr because I want to join the military. Also how much I make at minimum wage is less than what I will make starting out in the military.

Last edited by InfamousLegend; 11-03-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

well if its more of something you want to do and you know what you want to do while in i say go for it.find a job that you can use on the outside and do as much schooling while you can while in.if you have any questions about the army or army aviation just pm me.ill help as best i can and i wont sell it to you
Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So are you still in high school? And this is your plan after you graduate? If so how long would you be in the military 2-4+ years? By then a 99-00 model will be 13-15 years old. Why wouldn't you put that money towards a newer rig?
I agree with thee above I would go work with your uncle. It sounds like your not sure what you really want to do.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Banned

I was in the Army, and am currently going back-to-back to school ( I went to college before the army). I can give you the BEST layed out plan to making money and utilizing the full post 911 gi bill if you want. PM me or give me a call 716 319 8995 and I can lay out how to make the most money and how to really have a future plan layed out with schooling, the gi bill, sign on bonus, etc. If you plan your cards right, you will come out WAY ahead, as I have done. But if I were REALLY smart at the time, I would have done a few things different (that I can now give YOU the knowledge how to accomplish lol).
Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I want a 99'-00' 7.3L powerstroke simply because they are reliable trucks, quit frankly I flat out refuse buy a 6.0, or a 6.4 and the 6.7 has yet to prove it'self (newer =/= better). I know people want newer trucks because they have more whisles, but the older trucks had better whisles. The 7.3 is without a doubt the most reliable engine ford has ever used in one of their vehicles, and it happens to be a diesel, two things I'm looking for in a truck. It may be 20 years old, but it will still run another 50 while the 6.7 is gonna be replaced in 5. Theres a reason old trucks are still around while newer vehicles get replaced within 5 years.

Like I said earlier the 7.3L has plenty of power at stock for my liking, anything more than that is icing on the cake.

I have already graduated from High School, haven't started college yet.

Last edited by InfamousLegend; 11-03-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to andytheman24
You join the Military to serve your country. I don’t know anyone that joined for the money. The money is in privet security, not the U.S. Military.

I worked the numbers a while ago and figured that my hourly wage was about $4.50; and this was with roughly three years in at the time.

And the handy pay chart you’re looking at doesn’t factor in gas to get to and from work. Plane tickets to fly home to see mommy/daddy and the high school sweet heart. Beer and fast food to hang with the boys. The ridicules prices of uniform items, and the weekly haircuts (Marines). Port calls, deployments, ect. What am I getting at? Good luck saving money! It’s possible to save a few dollars if you pick up some rank (and stay un-married). But I can remember my first couple of years making barley $600 every two weeks and I was living pay check to pay check with a rather dull lifestyle.

Go play with mud. You have a better chance of saving some coins and building a show truck that way. Save that opening for a motivated high school grad that wants to come out here to Africa and shed some blood, sweat, and tears with me. The last thing I want to be in charge of is a Marine with a motive to save money, and not have my back (six) or run out and grab a wounded warrior when bullets are flying.

I’m not trying to come off as a a$$. Really, I’m not. It just sounds like your motivation is to have a sweet truck. Not sacrificing your time (and possible life) for your country.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm doing it because I want to expierience something different, and I realized I may have the money at the end to be able to purchase my dream truck, that is the purpose of this thread, not because I want a quick buck. I want to become a better man, I want to become disciplined, and I want to defend my country, do not doubt that! If I wanted money I would do what everyone else said, call my Uncle and get a job on the Oil Rig earning 60k a year, so you are wrong in that respect.

Also this wont be a show truck, the body can be beat to hell and I wouldn't give two ****s, each one means a story and gives it character, I want a reliable workhorse with a few horses under the hood to play with when I get it. The reason for all the extensive rebuilding is because although I don't want a 6.7L and all the hassle that comes with it, but I would like a truck that acts new and is running tight, and the 7.3L is a proven engine, an extremely proven engine. As much as I love ford I wouldn't pay for 6.0 or a 6.4, they would have to give it to me for me to take it, then I would turn around and sell it to buy a 7.3.

To be honest I don't think you came off as an ***, as a person who is serving their country in the Armed Forces you want to know the person next to you is there for the right reasons and will have your back from bootcamp to the first steps you take coming home. I respect the fact you questioned my reasons for joining, and I would not join if I didn't feel it was right for me. Am I nervous? Damn straight! Do I still want to do it? Damn straight!

Last edited by InfamousLegend; 11-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you have any questions about the navy then pm me I'm here at Virginia Beach. If you are single with no kids and you can get past the first year and a half and pick up some decent rank then the military does pay pretty good and if your good with money then you could get done with a 4-5 year contract with a huge savings account.

Lots of people join the military with your same attitude and that is perfectly fine. Save some money, get money for school and so forth and so on. Not everyone joins just because they are Joe soldier and want to go shoot people (if they did then everyone would join the Marines.) =) There are thousands of ways to serve your country save some money and go to school, and if your motivation is building a truck then good on you, just try to pick a job that you are able to do that. Just because you didn't join on the sole purpose that you want to serve your country doesn't mean that you wont be a damn good Soldier/Sailor/Marine/Airman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.