Towing: Edge Evo and wastegate question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing: Edge Evo and wastegate question

Hey guys, Just a quick question since I couldnt find an answer anywhere. I have a 01 ex 7.3 with the original edge evolution... this guy

I am towing a 6x12 enclosed, weighs about 2000lbs on a 600 mile trip, I was curious if I was safe to tow in stage 2, I have no egt gauge *i know :/*

Mods:
K&N Airraid
muffler delete
built tranny
283k miles

Also I come from the turbo rotary world where boost is a VERY controlled thing, i keep hearing people talking about unhooking their wastegate lines to run 25psi, doesnt it hurt the motor to run more psi than tuned for or does a diesel compensate somehow? Is it safe to tow with this done? any info/advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used to run the same one on my 01, you can tow on #2 but you need gauges first. EGT, Boost, and trans. Those programers will eat you tranny if your hard on it. I just use mine to pull codes now.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Ditch that tuner and get a TW chip. It will give you way more power, lower pyro temps, and he can concoct a nasty auto trans tune.

Besides if you have a tuner, blocking the WG should be the last thing you do since you should already be running max boost.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Couldnt find a site for tw, found a site that had his chips, to get multi level programming is expensive.. To fill that ***** up its damn near 800$
Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefrag View Post
Couldnt find a site for tw, found a site that had his chips, to get multi level programming is expensive.. To fill that ***** up its damn near 800$
Send your Evoultion to Bill (PHP) he's the one that did the tunes for the Edge Evolution when he worked for them. He can put custom tunes on your programmer that you have allready.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can it put tranny tunes in too? The one thing I really like about the tunes i have is the fact it locks up the torque converter when I let off the gas until I hit the brake.. diesel engine braking without a exhaust brake can be nice
Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
You have to go thru a site sponser (aka dealer) to buy the tunes. http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/ is tony wildmans site though. But I'm sure a dealer will pop into this thread or PM you any time now about tunes. They are pretty cheap thru TW
Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Can it put tranny tunes in too? The one thing I really like about the tunes i have is the fact it locks up the torque converter when I let off the gas until I hit the brake.. diesel engine braking without a exhaust brake can be nice
Yes (PHP) Bill's tunes will have trans tunes if you want them. He's in Georgia you should call him and check on live tuneing. I just noticed your in Georgia so that would be a good way to go for you.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 PM

I tow in race way more than 2000lbs, W/ gauge. But to answer your question, YES I tested the "tow" setting w/ a 7000lbs boat and no matter how hard I was on the throttle I could not get it over 1100. I would feel fine pulling 2k in tow. I stay in race all the time no matter how heavy is that is the only way my truck has balls. BUT my eyes are on the EGT gauge every few seconds and I do play the hills.
Any questions call me 210-862-1707. I tow daily and always in race with that same tuner. Get a gauge or learn your noises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.