Got my TW chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Got my TW chip

Alright guys i got my TW chip put in and my switch mounted today, and it is awsome. Its like having a whole other truck.
I do have a question.... Is there any way to identify what setting each position contains? the reason ask is because i ordered my chip w/ DD, street, extreme, heavy tow, smoke and high idle. In that order, but after driving it im almost certain that what i have is Extreme, street daily driver, Joke (seems like stock w/ no turbo), Heavy tow, and a very obviouse high idle.

It seems to me like the extreme setting and Daily driver might have gotten switched around. Im not really concerned about this, but i am pretty disapointed that my smoke setting has no smoke. not because i want to run around rollin coal, but because i did order it. if I put the switch in the smoke setting the truck will fall on its face, it doesnt make any boost which i understand is part of the smoke setting but it also doesnt seem to be adding any fuel. is this common on a truck with no fuel system mods? as far as the other settings go im am stoked that they run fairly clean. just curious. I'm certainly not gona send the chip back to fix a smoke tune. haha.
thanks
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you call them they might want you to reclean & recheck the connection at the ecm. make sure its absolutely clean
Old 10-31-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillls View Post
if you call them they might want you to reclean & recheck the connection at the ecm. make sure its absolutely clean
yeah when i bought the truck it had a chip in it that was installed by Scheids, so they had done a fairly good job cleaning everything up. but i still took the ECM out and made sure everything was clean and made sure i taped the chip in so it didnt come loose. i figure shortly ill get bored and throw some stage 1's and a turbo at it so itll have to be reburned any how, like I said im not really willing to wait for who knows how long to have a smoke tune fixed. ill probly give them a call this week though and see what they say.
Jim
Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
yeah when i bought the truck it had a chip in it that was installed by Scheids, so they had done a fairly good job cleaning everything up. but i still took the ECM out and made sure everything was clean and made sure i taped the chip in so it didnt come loose. i figure shortly ill get bored and throw some stage 1's and a turbo at it so itll have to be reburned any how, like I said im not really willing to wait for who knows how long to have a smoke tune fixed. ill probly give them a call this week though and see what they say.
Jim
cant hurt to call & ask
Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 AM

took me several months to get ahold of tony, call about 6 or 7 our time! by the way mines not right either.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 AM

Well honestly man with just a chip on the smoke setting your not going to roll coal. Also when I use my TW chip my street setting is way quicker and seems to have more power then my extreme. The extreme is just good MPGs.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM

thanks for the replys guys, like i said the smoke setting doesnt really bother me, the rest of the settings seem to work like a assumed they would, other than them possibly being in the wrong order, but after driving it for a couple of days now im still happy with it and am just not really willing to go back to stock just to have it fixed.

Am i right in thinking that since the chip itself is basically generic that i can send it to another tuner and get it reburned? like PHP, or Beans or somthing like that right?
JIm
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Banned

yeah beans can reburn that chip for ya
Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
all the way counterclockwise is the first position.. turn it clock wise to move up a position.. the chips are generally burnt the exact order you ordered them in...

-Raul
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 AM

I understand that. but ive go t a first position, that was supposed to be a daily driver, that will throw you back into your seat and peg the boost guage all the way through OD, and roll quite a bit of smoke at WOT, then ive got what is i assume a street setting that has got substantial power and winds up and spools up pretty good, with a haze of smoke, which is followed by my "extreme" setting which is real close in powergains to my 80hp super chip other than it falls on its face when i hit OD, and get about 20psi boost and with no smoke other than start up, My 4th pos which is supposed to be heavy tow is a good happy medium better than stock but not overly hot which i assume is correct, then my "Smoke" setting which is a dissapointment to say the least followed by hi idle.

Like i said, Im am happy with the overall performance of the chip, i just assumed that the DD setting and the extreme setting were swapped, after hearing the descriptions of them if it sounds like thats how they are supposed to be then i have no complaints. After driving it I have found which settings suit me for my driving style in different situations.

the only reason that I asked about other tuners, is because I have seen and heard where it can take months to get ahold of tony and then just as long to get a chip back from a reburn, and if I were going to have it redone in the future i dont want to wait that long.

Again, I am not unhappy with the performance even though it may sound that way, i just had a couple questions about things because i dont have alot of experience with how these settings should run other than what I have seen on here. and wanted some thoughts.

Thanks for the feed back
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.