7.3 feels like it runs out of steam..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 feels like it runs out of steam.....

Well I have tried to research what I am experiencing with my 2002 F-350 and I can't find anything so here goes.....

My truck has the following mods:

-Edge w/ Attitude.
-DIY intake.
-full 4" exhaust
-EBPV delete with valve removed in exhaust side
-Built automatic trans with shift kit, Suncoast extreme duty interals, Suncoast billet torque converter.

For the past several months now I have noticed that whenever I need to really lay on the throttle as the RPM's climb the truck seems to run out of steam. The revs keep climbing and black smoke keeps dumping but the power just isn't there like it once was.

I watch my stand alone boost gauge (not the Edge's) and the boost will NEVER climb past 17-18 psi even on the "extreme" setting. I want to say that I used to see 22-23 but don't quote me on that. 17-18 just seems low to me.

What I can best compare the feeling to is valve float. I have built many high revving drag car motors so I am familiar with the feeling....and while I am sure this is not the case with a 112k on the clock , that is what it feels like.

So what do you guys think it could be??

I am thinking about pulling the IPR valve tomorrow and cleaning it up to see if that helps any.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what the 7.3 guru's in here have in mind. I have intentions for some much more serious mods here soon....but I don't want to mask a potential problem that needs to be dealt with up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like ur on the right track with the IPR, might be your HPOP getten weak........BTW, nice wheels!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks man,

unfortunately I think you are right on about the HPOP getting weak. Cleaned up the IPR with no luck at all. Talked to a local diesel guru and the first thing he said was that it sounds like symptoms of a weak HPOP. I am going to hook up a hydraulic hose to the spare plug in the driver side head and hook up a liquid filled gauge that reads to 4,000 psi and see what she is putting out under WOT. I was told that not being able to maintain at least 2,000 psi on the hot tune will cause the truck to feel like it is nosing over.....I have a feeling that will be the case. Time to look into a DieselSite Adrenaline pump if she's getting weak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.