looking to make more power and still pass smog - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking to make more power and still pass smog

ok so ive TW tunes 5in straight pipe DIY intake and still looking to make more power maybe 50hp more if possible

dont tell me injectors or bigger turbo because thats a no go here in cali and i dont have time to swap back to stock for smog checks, also cant gut the ebpv.

I was thinking of getting a Turbomaster from dieselsite.com to hold the boost pressure better and maybe doing water/meth injection. now what are your guys thoughts on this and whose got this setup... id say im making around 300hp now and would like to get into the 350 range. BTW ive got a BTS tranny so im not worried about any trans issues

any other suggestions on making more power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Chapter Director

actually i might be able to get away with stage 1s if it will run on stock tuning and not blow any smoke, or a GT38r with the whole conversion to later style. just cant afford that right now
so what can i do in the meantime?

Last edited by freeride707; 10-24-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
water meth is your best bet money wise..

sorry to say but turbo and injectors are next my friend..

Power levels..300 to 500 and above WHP ( write up )
Old 10-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Chapter Director

thats what i was afraid of... what kind of power can i expect from the wather/meth? i plan on it anyways to keep the egts down cuz im running right on the 1150* range when pulling hills, and it will get past 1200 if im not careful. but a power gain would be nice too

and IF i did have 3-4grand to spend and got stage 1s and Gt38r with proper tuning how much could i expect to make? 400?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
stage 1 single shots and a turbo, return line, oil lines..chip etc youll hit 400
Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you can gut your ebpv. i did. im going to get the epbv eliminator when i need to 'smog' that way it'll tell the PCM everythings good. well depends who you go to if they look that close and care. Im not worried and i actually dont have to smog for another year so im good.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Turbomaster wastegate is a nice unit, you can really dial in your boost. I bet your probally a hair over 300HP at your elevation. Tony can make you a smog tune if you do go bigger injectors, Last I heard the GTP38R is smog legal in California. Look on Garrets website and see if it has a CARB#.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Chapter Director

hhhmmm well in that case i may gut the pedistal, and get the eliminator thing or make something like it. do you notice any difference?

yea tony could but i dont think it would work cuz they pull codes and with a chip in it will throw a P0603 been there done that...

with stage 1s does it smoke alot? cuz right now it smokes to much for the local cops haha the bigger turbo should clear it up though right? what about just running the bigger turbo without bigger injectors?

an no one answered my question about actual hp gain with water/meth
Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 PM

hey man were are you getting smogged that simple mods would fail you? stage 1 and a drop in turbo upgrade would still allow you to pass as long as the smoke is in check.i passed with frx,hpx,turbomaster. i asked him about the ebv being gutted and he said unless its throwning a ses light visual would be fine since its not really a emmisions issue. granted this guy has been smogging me for years and hes a gear head himself he really only would fail someone who trys to sneak stuff by.
hit me up you can check out my current install and see just how stock i made it all look.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Chapter Director

my main goal is to just clear up some of that smoke. and pickup power in the process.

i get it smogged at monty's automtive, hes a diesel guy. but it just depends on which tech is doing the check. technically injector mods and upgraded turbo is illegal but they cant really tell if injectors have been change unless it pours smoke, and i figure as long as the turbo is a garret they wont notice if its change out.

Last edited by freeride707; 10-24-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.