Riff Raff Fuel Crossover Failure Frx - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Riff Raff Fuel Crossover Failure Frx

This just happened to me today. You know this one event could have been fatal to my Excursion. I go out to the desert where temps can reach 120+. Sometimes 2 hours driving in from any paved roads or civilization for that matter. Im greatful that I dodged a bullet on this today; fortunately i was around the corner from my house. This Frx unit is only a month old. My Dealer Ford Diesel Mechanic who works on his own now. Gave me his opinion on the Riff Raff Frx unit that it was cheaply made (rubber hoses only) and he wouldnt install it on his own 7.3. And also said there was better quality and safer models out there. He mentioned to get the Frx that is all ss braided hose. Or the best ones made are the mandel bent ss fuel line hoses. I should have listened to his wise councel. It does have the goodyear hose and too Riff Raffs credit they did send me an email about the potential for a failure. But stated that there has not been one to date. Well i guess im the first one to have this happen too? I doubt it imo im sure there has been others who have had the same thing. Im very displeased at this product and it will be coming off today. I cant afford to have this happen where i go out 4x4 in the desert all by myself. And for you guys who have them consider that unprotected rubber hose on the driver side comes within an inch of the rear turbo where it gets wicked hot. That is for sure a point of failure at some point. Knowing what i know now I would pull the unit off and take it to a hydraulic shop and have them remove the rubber hose and install a SS braided hose with the highest possible psi and heat rating on the Riff Raff regulator and ends.

Last edited by BraveHeartCalif; 10-22-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 07:28 PM

well that sucks
i like the hard lines myself
Old 10-23-2010, 05:50 PM

i got the same email and from what i can remember talking with clay is that there had been a few failures with the goodyear hose. i was lucky enough to have not installed my kit yet and it was a simple return for the gates hose. i installed mine today. i got some spare fuel line and split it open so i could wrap it around the frx line for a little extra protection.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah heard that the gates hose was the one to have. but i agree ss would be the waaaay better option here. everything on this motor operates at such a high psi its ridiculous.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Riffraff also swapped mine for me and paid for priority shipping back, I didn't even have to ask. Before the Frx I was using DFA's CCK but decided to go with this on my new truck. I have been running the CCK for over 4 years and it has rubber lines as well, but zero issues. FWIW, when I talked to Riffraff they said they are prototyping a SS line version currently as an option but not because of pressure but just for longevity and abrasion, since our fuel systems only run at 55-65 psi.

Why don't you just give them a call? Seems like they were very up front when they saw an issue and e-mailed everyone. Somehow I don't see a company that makes "cheap" parts doing that, only one that cares about their customers. Also, from the e-mail they sent it seems they have only had issues with the Goodyear hose that they just started using, not the Gates that they had used for like 3 years. Just my .02

Last edited by Powerstroken04; 10-23-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Damn i just ordered this crossover setup from riffraff. So if it says gates on the hose i am good. Also is there some kind of protective material i can wrap the rubber line in maybey?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:06 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Maybe it could be wrapped I'm some of those heat boots that go over spark plug wires to keep it shielded from the heat
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM

i dont care if its gates or not, its a bare rubber hose system. this system must have SS braided hosing period. it will fail,,,,as mentioned im getting the riff raff and removing all the hoses and having a hydraulic shop do it right w/ SS braided hose and the high rated inner hose....im not taking the chance again with 75+ psi squirting fuel on the turbo or exhaust manifold...

Last edited by BraveHeartCalif; 10-25-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just received my Frx, it did come with the gates lines. The lines are rated for 180 psi and are for multi fuels. Looking it over, it seams to be stout and durable. But, i agree that the portion near the turbo could use a protective covering/shielding. If I find something worth while I will post it. I am confident on installing the Frx with these lines. Plus the flexibility of the lines adds to an easier install.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Now thats just bad luck there!

Just pointing out that were the line hooks into the head buy the turbo is on the intake(cool) side of the turbo not the hot exhaust side.Now a fuel leak out in the middle of now were is a bad deal.

Now I'm not point fingers but could the line maybe have been nicked are cut on install by accident???

I ask because were the hose is leaking is in a streight line and not rubbing on anything or turned at a hard angle.Were it would of cracked are rubbed through the rubber line.

I do know for a fact Clay will help you out and make this right for you.I also understand how mad you must be with this prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.