Zoodad Mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Zoodad Mod

I know what the Zoodad Mod is and how to do it. But I'm a little fuzzy on the mechanics of it. It seems to me that if you drive your truck in the rain at all it will suck up a bunch of water. If I'm wrong let me know because I really am considering do this mod. And if the thread is already out there on this issue send me a link please cause I couldn't find it anywhere. Thank you for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Premium Member

The thread is out there... like dozens of times. You can mitigate the rain/water problem by putting some scrfeen-door material over the hole that you cut. Thousands of people have done this and I don't think I've read of one case where rain/water was ever a problem.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was going to post this same question this morning. I decided against the zoodad because of the risk vs. reward. Rain, car wash, washing out radiator, etc. all seem like they could harm air filter with zoodad. I've also seen filters with a bunch of bugs in the air filter from zoodad. I was all set to do this mod even found a cool screen cover for the hole but after considering all the things above what do you really have to gain? With the water concerns I wasn't all that concerned with water making into the intake but more the degradation of the filter itself over time.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM

Ive never seen water in mine. I was worried when i first did it. Every rain for a while after i did it i would check the box. No rain ever even made it past the hole that you cut. Drove in rain down the interstate, snow, sleet, whatever. Never any problems. Did see a thread somewhere i guy didnt put a screen and he sucked a bird into his. Dont know if its true but thats what i read. But rain is not a worry at all.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

Well, I just installed the Ford AIS and the plenum goes directly to the grill and is pretty much a straight shot to the airbox. There are weep holes in the bottom of the airbox to let any water drain out, so I don't think that would be a problem. I haven't had it long enough to know about bugs
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM

I've had this done on my 6.0 for probably 120k miles. I've been in snow and sleet up north. And torrential downpours in FL for the past 4 years. No issues with my AiRaid intake yet (knock on wood).
Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Unless you spray water in there with a hose at full blast for minutes at a time... The box has drain holes to take care of that. If you get that much water in there you have bigger problems. As for the bird, I needed a good laugh.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well ok, Sounds like I will give it a shot and put some really small screen wire behind some thicker screen for stability. I really like the write up on the gutter ends. Sounds like a plan to me. If I get water in my engine I'm going to blame everyone in this thread except for jtk27. lol
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I did mine this way and named it!

HankDaddy (Holeless Zoodad)
Old 10-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
somewhere i guy didnt put a screen and he sucked a bird into his. Dont know if its true but thats what i read.
lol thats what lead me to do mine i hit a bird and when i got home found the bird wedged in where the mesh is so i just cut the other side out to match
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.