Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

E-fans?????

7K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Cashflo 
#1 ·
Does anyone know someone that is or is trying to use e-fans on our trucks? I am very interested in this mod if it is even possible.:dunno:

#4 ·
I've heard things go both ways that e-fans will or will not move enough air. I've actually created a thread some time ago on this, and there was some interesting information regarding tossing in some Taurus efans that move PLENTY of air even for guys who long-haul and hit the mountains.

#5 ·
Huh, i have never heard anything about using taurus fans. I wonder how much more air they move over the flex a lites? Those are made for the PSD so i wouldn't think the taurus fans would be better but anythings possible i guess.

#6 ·
Research the taurus dual electrical fans flow just as much or more than flex a lites. And you can find them in the junkyard. Direct bolt in too (pretty much).

#7 ·
Its odd to me because the technology is here to have an efan work better than a motor driven one. To think no one has come up with a solution is beyond me.

#8 ·
Well thats a cool mod then if you can get taurus fans at a good price! I wish there was a horton style on/off fan clutch for the super duties. They work great on semis. They are air actuated though which would be a problem without on board air.

#12 ·
What if you use that same idea only make it electric clutch like the ac compressor is?:dunno: Now that I think about it, my wifes explorer (06 model) has an electric fan clutch on it from the dealer. You can actually hear the fan come on and off like a full electric fan.

#10 ·
The guy who did the writeup for the taurus fan installation actually came up with a way for them to pre-program when to come on/off. It's a really neat setup. And these fans can be had for damn near pennies in the bone yard.

#11 ·
#15 ·
Like I said, the guy in my thread explains the taurus fans in comparison to the stock 7.3 fans, as far as output.

What year taurus do the fans need to come off of ?
I think mid 90's to early 2000's.

I'm gonna try searching for that thread right now.

#16 · (Edited)
#17 · (Edited)
No offense but isn' that apples to oranges? He has a Ford but with a Cummins in it! I wouldn't be sure if doing that with the Taurus fans will still be able to stay up with the 7.3. I don't know, just an observation is all

#18 ·
Well thats not the thread i'm looking for; the thread I'm looking for is either on ps.org (pretty sure) or MAYBE *************. But i think it's on the org.

#27 ·
because the stock fans are driven by the accesory belt, which means when those big things engage, the motor has to run harder to push that huge fan. Electric fans free up 20-30hp, and give better mileage.

guys wondering on the taurus fan here is a little info. i use a 2 speed one off a 94ish 3.8 v6 car on my 1000hp street mustang. i have a half filled block with a elect water pump and a stock replacement alum. radiator. 4'' thick intercooler in front of 2/3 the rad. i drove 60 miles one way with the car and it didnt go above 180* once in 85* weather. i can actually keep the car at 150* if i turn the fan on early. $20 tag at the yard. they work VERY well mark 8 fans are another good one as well
Excellent input!

Still cant fiind that damn thread I'm looking for.

#21 ·
You gain power! Think about how all of these Cold Air intake dealers are. They promote them by stating how much power you'll gain............ what, maybe 15 to 20hp max! Now with the electric fans, you would gain anywhere from 27 to 30hp. A friend that has a shop here has taken his off on a dyno and saw 30hp gains. In the race world, guys spend thousands to try and get 10hp gains. This is just my opinion though, but hp is hp and I will take all I can muster.

#23 ·
It's funny this tread popped up right now . My clutch fan took a crap last night . I removed it from the truck last night to see if it was the problem for sure (nasty vibration that comes and goes with no real rhyme or reason) . It was, no vibration now . I drove the truck today all day without the fan on the truck . I pulled my trailer all day as well . It was only about 65 degrees today . My truck didn't run hot at all . Exactly the same as always (even hooked up my SCT livewire to monitor ECT s ). I am going to install a fan that I removed off of an 03 Cobra and see what happens . I guess I wont really know until summer as it probably won't be hot enough to matter this fall and I will be parking the truck at the end of this month until spring .

#24 ·
Question, how hard was it for getting the stock clutch fan off? What tools did ya use to accomplish this? Getting the nut off is a pain from what I am told!:dunno:

#26 ·
guys wondering on the taurus fan here is a little info. i use a 2 speed one off a 94ish 3.8 v6 car on my 1000hp street mustang. i have a half filled block with a elect water pump and a stock replacement alum. radiator. 4'' thick intercooler in front of 2/3 the rad. i drove 60 miles one way with the car and it didnt go above 180* once in 85* weather. i can actually keep the car at 150* if i turn the fan on early. $20 tag at the yard. they work VERY well mark 8 fans are another good one as well

#37 ·
These will suck the chrome off of your grill and chill the motor at the same time! Up to 12,000 CFM rated....Electric Fan Engineering : Cooling Fans : Turbine Electric Fans for Off-Road and Bus Applications

holyballs

Aren't the flex a lites rated at 12,000 CFM too? and those aren't enough.
No I thought they flex's were only rated at like 8k rpms or 9k rpms, less than the stock Ford fan?

so, why not take an electric fan off of a bigger vehicle? such as a semi or equivalent?
Most aren't electric

#31 ·
Most aren't electric. Most common ones have a Horton brand on/off style live drive fan. Which is still belt driven but literaly doesn't turn until it senses it needs more air and then it will kick on. They are usually air actuated so you would need an on board air source. Even then the stock ford fan is good enough, but it would be the air actuated clutch that you would be after.

#33 ·
Yep that is the brand. It looks like you can get a retrofit kit for them. That is kick azz! Might have to do a little messing around to make it work right on a ford, but it shouldn't be too hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.