best way to increase MPG on my budget - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best way to increase MPG on my budget

Okay so for now im looking for something relatively cheap, im in college therefore not rich, if i had it my way and had money id chip it and all that good stuff but instead id like to first give you what i got,

i believe its and early 99 the date of manufacture is in 98 so i assume its a early 99, F350, has 265000 miles on it, 2 wheel drive, and well thats about it well and its got a magnaflow muffler going in one and coming out as dual lol just looks cool i guess, it pissed me off it doesnt hardly blow smoke anymore after that muffler ( if anybody knows a fix to that lemme know okay well im looking for something an add on, mod, something thats cheap maybe even under 100 bucks that will actually INCREASE my MPG, me about to be 19 well lets just say i dont drive it like my dad does haha i dont think hes ever had the thing over 2000 rpms, he can get around 16 mpg usually more, now i average around 15 give or take a half, id like something that really does increase this by a noticeable amount, maybe even add some power as well..

Well any ideas shoot them at me im open for anything

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
save up your money, nothing under 100 bucks is gonna get you 3 mpg... I'm in the same boat... college student.. but ya gotta have your toys too...
Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
riddin' high

Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
yea man, save your pennies

get a tuner/programmer/chip.....custom tunes
use the highest hp, and baby it
other than that, fresh oil change, filters, and a k&n or something air filter might help out more than you think

i drive a 03 4wd and i get about 17-22mpg, and trust me, i dont baby it by no means
Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
riddin' high

The "Mod-bug" isnt cheap.

If you do get a tuner or something, gauges are a life saver. 4" turboback exhaust helps ALOT and then some type of intake, and its a totally different truck!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've spent money on different things to increase mileage, and the only thing I've found that really shows better numbers at the pump is keeping my right foot out of the go pedal.

Not that much fun, I'll admit, but on a trip that I forced myself to stay in the 55-60mph zone, shifting at just around 2000, I got mid 20s. No kidding, thats hand calculated and I was the first one to call BS when I did it, then I realized I was the one that did it...

That was after the intake and exhaust, before the 35s. I bet the same trip with the 35s would get me low 20s, still good for a 4wd 7000lb truck.

Its nice to know if I chose too, I can get excellent mpg....i just rarely choose too.

good luck, have fun, and save up your money for some good mods. I am poor college student age, not currently in college however and I'm working my *** off, so the poor part isn't entirely true either...
Old 10-04-2010, 01:07 PM

It’s all about aerodynamics. Lower the truck, put lower gears in and smooth it out a bit and you will land in the mid 20s. Go read up on what Dave has done on PSN and you will see what I am talking about. Intake/exhaust/tuner is only good for 1 mpg if you are lucky.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
riddin' high

Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506p View Post
I've spent money on different things to increase mileage, and the only thing I've found that really shows better numbers at the pump is keeping my right foot out of the go pedal.

Not that much fun, I'll admit, but on a trip that I forced myself to stay in the 55-60mph zone, shifting at just around 2000, I got mid 20s. No kidding, thats hand calculated and I was the first one to call BS when I did it, then I realized I was the one that did it...

That was after the intake and exhaust, before the 35s. I bet the same trip with the 35s would get me low 20s, still good for a 4wd 7000lb truck.

Its nice to know if I chose too, I can get excellent mpg....i just rarely choose too.
i swear, its the 6speed haha, my pops truck has about the same mods as mine, but he has 4" exhaust and different tunes, and he can only get 15-20. highway trips may be more than that but he has stock tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Itís all about aerodynamics. Lower the truck, put lower gears in and smooth it out a bit and you will land in the mid 20s. Go read up on what Dave has done on PSN and you will see what I am talking about. Intake/exhaust/tuner is only good for 1 mpg if you are lucky.
just 1 mpg?
i did the k&n filter, oil change and filters, 5" mbrp turbo back, and DP tuner all within the same week. i went from 15mpg to 18mpg, and thats averge per tank give or take a .5. and i baby it by no means.......there are some "take it easy" times through a couple of towns where cops dont like loud or smoke ha
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM

haha you know guys i pretty much expected those replies, haha, i looked into doing a tuner chip, and guages, but from what ppl have said on here with my truck as many miles on it as its got that its not good to do that without upgrading like a ton of other things...
cuz you best believe i would love to chip it and be able to rolll some coal when i chose lol and of course that high horsepower.. anybody got experience chipping one with this many mile on it and eveyrhting basically stock lol
Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM
riddin' high

pops truck has 211K and his runs just fine with diablo predator pro, 4" mbrp, afe II, wicked wheel, and sinisters OBA
Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 PM

i guess i may end up starting another thread for this but i guess this is my question,

with 265,000

If i chipped it with something like a tony wildman or dp, and of course gauges, am i risking breaking anything pre maturely? or tearing anythign up way sooner than its supposed too?

truck is stock, tranny was rebuilt or its new not sure about like 20 or 30k ago i think, not positive on the number, but like 5 years ago, only upgrades are well that muffler haha which i dont think is much of an upgrade lol... id love to chip it i know everybody loves having that power, and of course i love smoke haha but thats my main question i guess haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.