TW Chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TW Chip

Hi, I have a couple of questions pertaining to my truck regarding a TW Chip. I have been scavenging all around reading many many posts on these forums, so I have an idea of what I need to get but I guess i'm looking for someone to agree with me and tell me what I have in mind will be fine for my rig.

That said, I want a chip for a little more power, passing on hills, and lower RPM's. I don't need to gain huge amounts of HP, but I would like more then my mostly stock 2001 7.3L. I have intake and the Walker BTM in place of factory muffler. I'm not looking to go to the 4" exhaust.

Would I be foolish to run a chip with my current set-up, along with a pyrometer and tranny temp gauge? I do not pull huge loads often, and I don't race so I will not be using the 140hp setting nor will I be using the other 100+hp settings. I would just like some gitty up from time to time.

It seems like I would be fine with a just programmer but for a little extra money I might as well go with the TW.

SO, Intake, stock downpipe to Walker BTM, two gauges and "non extreme power" chip? Yes or No?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have an '01 dually and am in a similar situation.

If you run a 50 hp tune you won't need exhaust or intake to keep EGT's down.

However, I have both of those on my F250 and am glad I have them. I run a 100hp tune on that truck.

On the Dually I am driving around with an 80hp tune without exhaust and intake. I could not tow like that though. The TW will be selectable so you could "turn it down" when you tow. But I see no reason not to run an 80hp tune. FYI I am 36 years old.

Get a better filter regardless; On my early 99 F250 the filter can let dirt into the turbo and I don't trust a filter minder. I want something I can look at. Many on here use the NAPA conical filter. It is affordable and flows well.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
you will be fine.... that being said i always got the best MPG with the higher settings...

how many positions did you want to get? how much weight do you tow? i can then suggest what tunes would work best for your truck
Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great advice, thank you.

Raul - I was looking at either 3 or 4 positions. As for towing, its usually a 1000 lb boat(only a few months out of the year), and two or three times a year a 3-4k trailer with miscellaneous stuff. Also once a year, a 5 ton load of hay. I would be glad to hear what you would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.