Towing Performance Upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing Performance Upgrades

2002 Crew Cab Long Bed, Automatic Tranny, 130K miles

Current Upgrades: Mag Hytec Deep Tranny Pan & Diff Cover

Parts on Order: Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back Stainless Duals
MaxBrake Brake Controller

I have been reading here for weeks now and need advice for the rest of my planned mods. I will be using this truck for towing around 10K lbs very often. I need increased performance and durability. I really like the turbo whine and want more of that too.

I am planning to use either the Tymar air intake or a DIY Tymar using the Donaldson filter. That tymar looks nice, but pricey. Is it worth it or should I go DIY or another intake alltogether?

Chip: I am leaning towards the DP Tuner. I like smooth shifts and some extra power pulling hills would be a big help.

Turbo: I am thinking about one of the non-wastegated van turbos with a 1.00 housing and Banks turbine wheel (wicked wheel) all balanced from Ron's turbo to decrease EGT and hopefully get a little more turbo whine.

Gauges: Planning on EGT, Boost & Tranny Temp, maybe Differential temp too since the mag hytec cover has the threaded hole already. Haven't done any research yet on gauges so I have no idea which brand.

Tranny: It will remain stock until it blows, then I will upgrade. I see no point in replacing it now as long as it still works well.

I will probably do the foil delete when I install the intake and exhaust systems. My question is: What do you guys think about these mods for my application and do you have any other reccomendations? I really don't want the expense of upgraded injectors or a larger intercooler, although I am considering the 6.0 intercooler swap as it is cheaper. My concern here is the effect of spool up time with the larger intercooler and 1.00 turbo housing. My current intercooler has plastic end tanks, so I am wondering if this swap was already done by the previous owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if you are looking for smoother shifts then u better talk to jody at dp before he burns your chip. i have TW on my 350 and Dp on my 250 because i like the selector from dp, but i like the tw chip better. just saying. don't mean to hyjack your thread but i am also looking for the next upgrade for my truck. I pull 10-20k weekly and need alittle more to help with the topend and hills. thanks for letting me tag along on your post.

Last edited by nic2fast; 09-27-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Nick2fast, I do plan to call DP before ordering to give them my intended use and upgrade info. I don't want a chip that will kick hard while shifting and pulling 10K lbs behind me.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'd second the TW choice..
For heavy towing get a 6.0 31 row trans cooler, BD brake, 6.0 Tq converter and a BTS VB.

6.0 IC won't create more lag and will drop temps a little.

I'd just do a WW as 90% of the time that will cure surge.

Tymar IMO is worth the $$ or do a DYI with the correct parts.

We have Isspro with 4 hole pillar pods..They match the dash guages.

Cary
Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM

^ Yea what he said
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 AM

Do your exhaust and gauges before DPTUNER that way you know how your vitals are doing under the additional power. I have a TYMAR filter and it is wonderful. Great filtering with the Donaldson filter. I personally bought it from TYMAR because he designed it and made it for maximum performance. I don't want to copy it with inferior parts possibly. Saving up for exhaust and DPTUNER.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 AM

Hey,this dude stole my avatar!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From what I've heard on here and on the Nation, the 6.0 cooler is not worth doing unless it's free . It doesn't drop the temps enough to make it worth while, ask around before you buy one.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Yup. I installed a 6.0 IC on mine and see maybe 50 degrees at most less pulling my 12k 5er. only cost me $50 for the IC and I sold my old one for $50 to an OBS guy. free is worth it but dont pay much for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.