Heavy tow, or performance? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heavy tow, or performance?

I have a Superchips 1855 flashpaq. I have been running the heavy tow mode and was wondering what happens if I switch to the performance mode while towing. The manual says "towing not recomended" in performance mode. Anyone tried this? I don't want to fry anything. I will soon be installing a turbo back 4" w/ muffler (Silverline), and a aFe stage 2 intake.
Thanks. Wolfman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wouldnt do it without a pyro. that being said i've grannied my truck in performance mode towing 3500 or so, nothin heavy.ha.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
wouldnt do it without a pyro. that being said i've grannied my truck in performance mode towing 3500 or so, nothin heavy.ha.
Yea, I was thinking that they put the warning on the info. sheet for a reason.
I just bought a '06 Keystone Rapor 37' and I want to be able to haul up mountains with it. Thanks. I'll leave it in Heavy tow mode.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you always leave it in Heavy Tow mode? I just got mine from a member on this site a few weeks ago. I tried performance (I thought it was the lowest setting). Called superchips and they explained the different settings. I have a pyro gauge and flooring the gas pedal in performance got it to 900 degrees. Thats just to give you a baseline number in case you need it.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Do you always leave it in Heavy Tow mode? I just got mine from a member on this site a few weeks ago. I tried performance (I thought it was the lowest setting). Called superchips and they explained the different settings. I have a pyro gauge and flooring the gas pedal in performance got it to 900 degrees. Thats just to give you a baseline number in case you need it.
I just bought the truck about a month ago. Then about two weeks ago, I bought the 37' 5th wheel. I'll probably keep the tuner in heavy tow mode because I won't be using the truck much besides towing. How much differents
was there between Performance and Heavy tow modes?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM

GAUGES BOYS GAUGES.......
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM

performance made it take off funny. Kind of like I would give it gas and at 35mph I would already be in 5th gear so I set it to light tow or whatever the one right above the mileage xs is called. I have ran the mileage xs, light tow and performance and my tranny temps have never gone over 170 degrees (its 100+ where I live outside). Another thing is that you put that you want to get an intake but everyone I see and have met with these trucks keep saying the same thing to not touch the intake and instead get a really good air filter instead.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Already have intake.

I have both the aFe stage 2 dry intake and the Silverline 4" turbo back T304
SS exhaust. I just haven't installed them yet. Tues., tomarrow I will install
the exhaust. It's 106 today here in Riverside CA. so tomarrow, I will get out there early AM and install it. I'll do the aFe the next day. It has a huge cone oval shaped filter and cool air box that seals inside the hood. The battery is mounted inside the air box! There is a new plastic tapered hose that goes from the filter to the flex hose at the turbo. It looks like it will really move some air. They say you can hear the turbo whine up with this set up.
I'll keep you posted. Wolfman
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Riverside? Wow I'm out in 29 palms past Yucca Valley. Im actually dropping my Polaris Ranger off on Friday at Pro Armor in Riverside. You have any hookups on WVO by chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.