Turbo housing to cure surge? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo housing to cure surge?

Ok, so i'm wondering where/what type of housing i can get for my stock turbo to prevent surging and make a little more power? right now, it surges like a biotch on any tune i'm on without pulling anything. I've heard of the ATS ported housing, but $450 or w/e it is is a little out of my budget (being 19 and in college doesn't help..) I thought i had seen some housings for under $200, but i have no idea what i should be looking for. do i need a larger compressor housing? what AR ratio should i get? and would a ww help as much or not as much as a new housing? if anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated. i type way too much...
thanks, Mitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wicked wheel should fix your prob.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I probably wouldnt buy a housing thats under $200. Just save up and do it the right way with ATS and a wicked wheel. Thats the set up I have on my truck. I feel your pain on budget though I was 19 and finishing up college when I bought my truck. Just save your pennies and do it right the first time. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 AM

Thats what i figured... nothing decent for under $200. How much difference will a wicked wheel actually make? in terms of surge reduction? cause right now it seems like the turbo is starting to go so i need something to prolong this turbo's life...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
You are not suppose to use the housing and the wicked wheel at the same time. I did and it lowered my boost and howled like crazy.

They both fix the same issue and counter act each other.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 AM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
XDP's X-Wheel cured mine!
$75
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Why are you not supposed to use them together? Yes it may lower your boost, but you are creating more cfm, which makes more power. Either way you go, I am running both and love it! You guys are right though its pretty damn loud, but who doesnt love a little whistle? Just crank the tunes thats what I do!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Uh, both the stepped-blade compressor wheel and the ported housing REDUCE flow to cure/reduce surge.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

The wicked wheel is the same exact size as stock so how would it create more CFM's?

Mitch:
My advise is go with the Wicked Wheel/ Borg warner wheel/ X wheel/ Anti surge wheel..........Dang those are the only ones i can think of. Doesnt matter where you buy it from, its all the same exact wheel. Start with this and if it still doesnt make you happy, than save and buy the housing. The wheel is the most inexpensive option ~$100

As for a housing, GAyTS has one, Industrial Injection has one, and a couple other companies have them. There all about the same range ~$400. You dont have to worry about A/R on the compressor side. The exhaust housing A/R is what people change size in and my guess is that the exhaust housing is what you are thinking of for $200 because thats what they usually go for.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Ahh i see, thanks for the input and explanations. seeing as i only have about $100 till payday, i'll try out the wheel for now. but, does the ported housing reduce surge AND increase airflow? but reduces max boost? i thought i read that somewhere but could be wrong. Now, just out of curiosity, what would a different sized exhaust housing do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.