looking to chip my truck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM
That's what she said!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking to chip my truck.

hey guys im looking to chip my truck soon and was wondering which chip or programer i should get. i have the k&n intake and im in the process of installing my 4" downpipe into a 5" dual stack kit with daul 6"x36" black aussie tips. i also have a 6" superlift lift installed. thanks in advance for the help.

btw also i have 120xxx miles on the truck and its the original engine and trans. would i need any other modifications to do a chip or programer. i want to do it the right way and not tear or blow anything up. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

PHP Tuner and ditch the K&N-it's lets in too much dust. Go with the 6637 or AEM Big Boost Air Filter.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
TS chip with custom tunes..TW, Cale, Bill, Bean..Tymar intake is the best period..just took off a customers Big boost filter that dusted his turbo, the intake was full of dirt. IMO Never get a cleanable filter..Pm me if I can get you info or help.

Cary
Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM

You Can run a cleanable filter just not the ones that use the stock air box because they don't seal right just use an Outerwear on it and it will be fine the key to washable filters in Maint on them I have had a K&N cone filter with outerwear on mine for over 160k since the truck was new and have never seen dirt in the intake or pitted blades or anything like that. As for a custom chip any of them out there are good everyone has there opinions on who is best my advice is look at the custom tuners websites or call them see what options they got and what your looking for and go with it. Also not saying the Tymar intake isn't good or worth the money either. As Far as the tranny your T/C is the weak link most of the time you should be fine just as long as you dont try to hammer down in your higher settings but anything can break. My old mans T/C went by by and it's stock and all he ever towed was a drift boat and that was at 50k.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:49 PM

Comes down to luck, conditions the truck is driven, how carefully its cleaned etc..personal choice as to taking the risk for a more expensive intake kit..I won't use one and I feel strongly enough that I won't sell a washable filter either.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Exactly it all comes down to personal preferance I run mine on pummy dust roads all the time but I do clean my filter everytime I change my oil wich is about every 3000 thats one main reason I have the washable because I would be goin through the Paper filters like crazy. But your right some people have issues with them some don't. Either way the OP goes I would recomend a filter cover or outerwear keeps all them bugs out of the filter and should make wich ever filter you decide to go with stay cleaner longer.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Have you read what K&N says on their box...don't clean to often..they depend on dirt to filter dirt! Clean the efficiency is only 95%, 5% of the silica is getting into your engine. Donaldson is 99.8% eff. just because you don't feel it on the interior of the tube doesn't mean its not there.

FYI more info on a Donaldson filter used in the Tymar will be coming this weekend as I have asked Dale to reply..once the truth about filters and air flow comes available by Dale I am confident that you will switch.

Do I want people to buy a Tymar kit sure I do as its the best available but bottom line I want them to use a Donaldson filter I don't care if they buy from me or get it somewhere else and do a correctly installed DYI.

Little info teaser..The Tymar Intake will allow lower restriction levels and lasts approximately 15K miles in a restriction range LOWER than stock. If you want to go with longevity of filter, you can continue using the same filter and will simply not experience the positive benefits of lower than stock restriction levels.

Tymar supplied the intake systems for Granite Construction and used them as a severe duty use test. They were rebuilding Power Stroke engines at approximately 60K miles because of the fine silt in the mining beds. After changing to a Tymar system they were using the same filters with 28K mile change out intervals and only experiencing 32”h2o of restriction (yellow on your stock restriction gauges) and they eliminated the necessity of engine rebuilds and were selling the used trucks with over 180K miles on them. Thats in the most extreme conditions imaginable much worse than just driving on dirt roads

Cary
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Like I said before its up to preferance I have had no troubles with it they use them in racing applications all the time most CORE series trucks run them hell they run the Baja 500 and I dont drive in to many mines so it works for me. All I was getting at is there are other options becides the Tymar. Not trying to start a Filter war. I went back and forth between a Tymar style filter and the Big Boost Filter I ended up goin with the big boost just because it is washable. I can get the Tymar style filters for about $16 through work or whatever the Carquest brand one is I might give it a try someday who knows.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
You need some gauges to keep everything in check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.