EXPERIANCES WITH TRIPLE DOG GT TUNER FOR '01 7.3??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EXPERIANCES WITH TRIPLE DOG GT TUNER FOR '01 7.3???

I would like to here your experiances "the good, the bad, and the ugly" with Bully Dog's Triple Dog GT Diesel Gauge/Tuner (40420).

I am looking into putting one of these diesel tuners on my 2001 Platinum Edition F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke.

Do these tuners really make that big of a differance for pulling

Are the easy to use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 AM

bully dog gt

i have only had mine for a week and havent pulled anything with it but it does give it some power. mine is also for sale...what are you looking to have to pay for one where your at.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I installed at GT3 before I ever towed the toyhauler, so I can't really compare that. Otherwise it seems to get around 1.5 to 2.0 mpg better on the freeway not towing. Just pulled a large box of a trailer to Montana last week, usually left the GT3 on "extreme", unless EGTs were climbing, then I'd back it off to performance. Towing the toyhauler, I usually leave it on performance, & if EGTs get too high, back it off to tow. Had I found this site before purchasing the GT3, I would have gotten the custom tunes for the same or even less $$$.

The boost reading on the GT3 is 2x what my Isspro shows, trans temp also reads higher than the isspro, and the oil temp never shows above 140, so I don't put much trust into what the display shows on the GT3.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Don't waste your time or money on it. Go with a custom tuned chip, you will be happier with the power and your truck will be happier with the better tuning.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc87 View Post
I installed at GT3 before I ever towed the toyhauler, so I can't really compare that. Otherwise it seems to get around 1.5 to 2.0 mpg better on the freeway not towing. Just pulled a large box of a trailer to Montana last week, usually left the GT3 on "extreme", unless EGTs were climbing, then I'd back it off to performance. Towing the toyhauler, I usually leave it on performance, & if EGTs get too high, back it off to tow. Had I found this site before purchasing the GT3, I would have gotten the custom tunes for the same or even less $$$.

The boost reading on the GT3 is 2x what my Isspro shows, trans temp also reads higher than the isspro, and the oil temp never shows above 140, so I don't put much trust into what the display shows on the GT3.
So what you are saying is these really don't make that much difference in HP gains???
Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Don't waste your time or money on it. Go with a custom tuned chip, you will be happier with the power and your truck will be happier with the better tuning.
im not trying to be an *** because im new here, but im willing to bet you have never had one of these your self on your truck. that being said how can you tell him not to waste his money or time...you dont have a clue as to what it actually does. anyway i have it on my truck and its been on there about a week, it gives a good amount of power on my 00 f350 cc drw lifted truck. and helps with fuel mileage. it has all the monitors built in the color screen which has touch buttons. the only thing is you will have to buy the egt probe seperately but it does read on the screen. you literally have three wires to hook up. the obd hook up the power wire which goes to your fuse box and the egt probe if you get it. hes probably right on the custom chip giving more power than the bully dog but i guess its what your preference is. not trying to be an *** here so please dont start talking shi*. im only selling mine because i need the cash right now. or else i would keep it.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Not trying to be an azz, but ill bet you pink slips mine with custom tunes has more power and economy than yours with the triple dog, and will last longer too.

And you are right, i never have tried any generic tunes on my truck. Reasons? I didn't want to waste my money on inferior performance, and life shortening (trans mostly), when i could get the best and not have to buy tunes twice when i am disappointed in the generic crap that i bought.

Built in gauges would be nice, but i prefer analog gauges anyway.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Not trying to be an azz, but ill bet you pink slips mine with custom tunes has more power and economy than yours with the triple dog, and will last longer too.

And you are right, i never have tried any generic tunes on my truck. Reasons? I didn't want to waste my money on inferior performance, and life shortening (trans mostly), when i could get the best and not have to buy tunes twice when i am disappointed in the generic crap that i bought.

Built in gauges would be nice, but i prefer analog gauges anyway.
seriosuly im not going to argue with you, but in my last post it does say your probably right as far as more power and maybe fuel economy. but unless hes out racing with it he will like it for the ease of use and convience (which is what hes looking for). he asked how easy it to use and the only thing he asked about is pulling not racing. my truck does just fine pulling 15000 lbs on a gooseneck with it on tow. which is like 40 hp.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree with............... Jake

Generic tunes VS made to order custom tunes is a no brainer
Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

Custom tunes are the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.