Why injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why injectors

I have a PHP 6 pos chip. Above the 100hp setting on stock injectors I get black smoke which seems to be unburnt fuel.

Yet it seems injectors are one of the first things people upgrade after intake exhaust chip. Wouldn't that be just more black smoke. Obviously they do add power, but seems like the next upgrade ought to be bigger turbo to clear up the smoke on say a 140hp tune.

Can somebody explain why someone should get injectors instead of a trubo and why they are able to make more power even though they were already not able to burn the fuel they had....

I ask because I have the three simple mods and am looking at what's next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 03:30 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

the injectors will only flow so much fuel.
the tunes you get when you buy a TS chip or whatever are basic tunes(from that particular tuner that is, all tuners are different, but most will equal out in the power/TQ department. Im not talking edge, or bully dog or banks here either.) for the specific vehicle and some light mods. No matter what anyone says. UNLESS you call up or talk to the tuner and say you want more power down low, or you added injectors and turbo and you need more fuel, timing, ect....

On a 140 HP tune, youre only gonna see about 80 HP. same goes for the 100 tune. the injectors simply dont have enough flow to support the volume of fuel desired.

Some people get performance injectors when they have injector problems, say after 150k miles or more. My Philosophy is why replace with stock, when aftermarket/performance stuff is basically same price, and gets you more power, or economy out of your truck.

You can de tune larger injectors(to a point) to run with a stock charger. that way, you can up the fuel amount once you get more air flowing. alot of people do that.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok but if the injectors can't flow enough then why do you have black smoke?

I thought that meant fuel that wasn't burnt.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

it is unburnt fuel, Most tuners tune to get the utmost out of any truck, because they are not tunig for YOUR specific truck. But, you would need more air to totally clean it up and most any aftermarket turbo will totally clean up a set of stock injectors. If you run a big turbo with stock injectors, you'll either burn it up or you will never get it to spool. If you run a big injector on a stock turbo, you will get alot of black smoke. Its kinda a tradeoff ya know?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

so how about proformance injectors without any turbo?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

this is perfect... i was just going to ask the same question! also why would you go injectors over a HPOP or visa verse? ima ramble on and someone letme know if im anywhere near the right directions... HPOP supply's high pressure oil to the injectors, the more oil pressure the more fuel pressure created, even with stock injectors. aftermarket injectors with stock nozzles are higher pressure but the stock nozzles limit flow? and stock injectors larger nozzles more flow less pressure???

i hope someone can help us out!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive been doing my own research on this matter for my 2003 Ex 7.3. And according to those in the know. The Single shot say stage I 160/30% which is what ill be getting. From what i understand its a more efficient injector than my stock inj...So it atomizes better, which means firing which means better MPG im told. But also when u romp on it youll notice a nice power differance especially with customs tunes. Ill need to confirm but i think the stage I also pulse at a differant rate than the stockers...Eitherway in my situation; when u couple it with a good turbo upgrade say like a d66 or the Precision billet turbo 7.3 1999.5-2003. Which seem to be a good choice among the seasoned consensus. Im leaning towards this one because its has nearly the same cfm as the d66 but it kicks in much harder with a faster spool up time im told...

And a bit of a side note but Precision Turbo i hear is winning lots of meets with there turbos.

Here is the link - If anyone has this turbo please share your experience
http://www.shop.blackwidowdiesel.com...ategoryId=62or garret gt38r turbo

Here is the d66
http://www.beansdieselperformance.co...d&productId=29

Last edited by BraveHeartCalif; 08-27-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.