New to Powerstrokes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Powerstrokes

Howdy guys, I have drove Dodges since i started driving but recently bought my wife the new 6.7 and after having it for a month decided i wanted a ford so i bought a 02 7.3 with 140,000 on it. I know i need a new intake and exhaust. Anything else i would appreciate I get diesel power and diesel world and 8 lug and i have been doing some research on the issues i have kept for the 7.3 and they all recommended the mbrp exhaust and afe intake. I have allways put banks on my dodges so was just wonderin what everyone uses. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a Silverline 4" and the stock intake. AFE is good if you can afford one.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
First off...

Congrats on getting the 7.3L! You've pretty much got the basics down pat already. Intake and exhaust are a must, followed shortly by gauges and a chip. AFE and MBRP are definitely the way to go in my book!

One thing you may want to look at is replacing the factory water pump with one from Bosch, and a 203* thermostat from Diesel Site. That's really the only maintenance issues that need attention at the moment, besides oil and fuel filter changes...

Let's see some pics of your family's new purchases! How are you like the 7.3 so far?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks super diesel! I love the 7.3 in fact my wife likes my truck better than hers which is pretty dang funny when I tried to get her to get one like mine and she was havin no part of it, wanted a new one. So anyways I have always drove diesels and have always put gauges, intake, and exhaust first thing and figured that was the way to go. I hope to put a ts performance chip on it soon. Thank you for your help and I will check on the water pump and thermostat soon!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Banks just came out with a ram air intake for the 7.3. It looks sweet!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I was on the phone with the guy from banks for about an hour and a half the other day and from what he tells me the only thing that is different from theirs and the factory one is it has a hole on the side by the fender and a conical instead of a flat one. I aint gonna pay 499 for it I can guarantee you that! I like the diy ones ive seen on here and the afe ones. The only thing that I dont like about most of the diy ones it is open to the rest of the motor. It looks like too much hot air able to get to the intake. Just my two cents.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3pokesfan View Post
Yea I was on the phone with the guy from banks for about an hour and a half the other day and from what he tells me the only thing that is different from theirs and the factory one is it has a hole on the side by the fender and a conical instead of a flat one. I aint gonna pay 499 for it I can guarantee you that! I like the diy ones ive seen on here and the afe ones. The only thing that I dont like about most of the diy ones it is open to the rest of the motor. It looks like too much hot air able to get to the intake. Just my two cents.
Wow, they cost that much??? That is ridiculous. I know it's banks, but dang. I wouldn't give that either. And yea I agree that other open type intakes do draw in a lot of hot air from the motor.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I actually laughed when he told me how much it was and he asked me what was so funny I told him it would be a cold day in hell when I paid that much for an air intake and he told me that if I wanted the best I would have to pay for it. I told him to check and see what all I had bought from them in the past. When he came back on he said im sorry sir and told me he could probably take ten percent off of it. I just said no thanks and that I would just go somewhere else for my pickup products and hung up. I was pretty damn mad and it took me a minute to calm down. Pretty stupid to get mad over something like that but I have bought almost 10 grand worth of parts from them in the past 5 or so years. I know thats not allot compared to some people but that is a hell of allot to me. Sorry about the rant it just makes me really mad to even think about it. Oh well afe and others gonna get my money from now on!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM

I was gonna call them and ask about it....Not now though! I can't believe they want that much. It makes me mad and I didn't even talk to them. I like their products both performance and finish wise. But that is one thing I won't buy from them.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I wouldn't worry too much about the "hot air" that open style intakes seem to pull in... Once the air breathed in by the intake hits the turbo, the turbo heats it up to incredibly hot temperatures no matter what intake system you have. The key here is volume. You're looking for massive amounts of air. As stated earlier, the turbo heats the air up regardless of what temperature it is, so you need to go for whatever intake is going to give you the greatest CFMs.

Also, if you plan on using your truck off road much... you need to look at filters that have more filtration protection rather than flow. It's obviously a "give and take" kinda thing. Either the filter is going to focus solely on flow--therefore giving you the greatest volume of air sucked in... or it's going to focus on filtration--which means less air being pulled in, but you'll be protected from dusty terrains and such better than the filter that concentrates solely on gulping down as much air as possible.

Be mindful of companies that claim to say their product does both. I just don't see it happening... Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.