DIY Injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
PMR = JUNK

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 11,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
DIY Injectors

Just have a few questions about DIY stage 1's. I have a set of AO cores that have about 130kish miles on them out of a school bus, so the engine was well maintained. I would like to go with single shots for fuel mileage, but i don't want to just put those in and have a nutless truck with 90 or 98cc (debated) injectors. So i'd like to turn them into stage 1s. I was lookin at rosewood's site but didn't see the DIY kit on there anymore. Does he still do that? How much is it? How hard is it to change them into stage 1's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lockport IL
Posts: 4,297
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
He does it for 600 or so. It is cheaper than the DIY any way. You need to have your intensifier pistons machined down. And if they are off at all you no longer will have 160cc injectors.

But if you do it yourself and want to run bigger oil you could make them 175cc or 180cc just by machining more off the piston.

While you are at it look into nozzles too. You can tune down 160cc stage 2s to be just as good as stockers. But it will make it more fun if you plan to run a turbo in thew future.

BTW I am running the DIY stage ones and had jim build em for me. They are out of my 96 and have 200k plus on them and they are amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Electrical Ogre
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,460
Thanks: 29
Thanked 45 Times in 42 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's doable, but why? Shouldn't your splits be good for 140cc? 160 is hardly a leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor


 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: *near* Portland, OR
Posts: 8,765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
jake i thought you got single shots from Tyler or someone and were swapping him? then making those into hybrids?

But yeah its about $600 to have jim make a set of stage 1's out of good working injectors, if anything is wrong with your injectors then the cost will jump dramatically.

You can do it yourself a little cheaper but definitely not worth the time or effort or risk of messing up! Stage 1's will be a good increase over your 140cc split shots no matter how you look at it, but while your in their why not look into nozzles. I just got a set of nozzles for free so i know they are out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM
PMR = JUNK

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 11,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
He does it for 600 or so. It is cheaper than the DIY any way. You need to have your intensifier pistons machined down. And if they are off at all you no longer will have 160cc injectors.

But if you do it yourself and want to run bigger oil you could make them 175cc or 180cc just by machining more off the piston.

While you are at it look into nozzles too. You can tune down 160cc stage 2s to be just as good as stockers. But it will make it more fun if you plan to run a turbo in thew future.

BTW I am running the DIY stage ones and had jim build em for me. They are out of my 96 and have 200k plus on them and they are amazing.
I was lookin at the DIY to save money. I know some good machine shops around here. I'll talk to them about price to machine the pistons before i pull the trigger on anything though.

Nozzles = more $$$ though. Which is something i don't have much of. And im already runnin a better turbo



Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
It's doable, but why? Shouldn't your splits be good for 140cc? 160 is hardly a leap.
They are 140, but they are also split shots. I've heard that the difference between stage one singles and splits is up to 50 horse. Obviously it might not be THAT much, but still there will be a difference. Some of that current 140 is going into the pilot shot.

Also lookin to get a bit more fuel mileage out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeorcroak View Post
jake i thought you got single shots from Tyler or someone and were swapping him? then making those into hybrids?

But yeah its about $600 to have jim make a set of stage 1's out of good working injectors, if anything is wrong with your injectors then the cost will jump dramatically.

You can do it yourself a little cheaper but definitely not worth the time or effort or risk of messing up! Stage 1's will be a good increase over your 140cc split shots no matter how you look at it, but while your in their why not look into nozzles. I just got a set of nozzles for free so i know they are out there!
I was talkin to him about it but neither of us have the money to do that sort of thing right now. He cant afford the chip to run them now and i cant afford hybrids, plus i got these injectors for FREE.

The $600 to have him do it is why i thought about the DIY route. If i found some free nozzles id do it but other than that any more injector work is way down the road. I need a house first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lockport IL
Posts: 4,297
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Yeh houses are important. I had b codes and I had to swap the to strokeorcraok for stage ones because I have a house and need a reliable truck.

He just wants 800hp dont you Derek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor


 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: *near* Portland, OR
Posts: 8,765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I was lookin at the DIY to save money. I know some good machine shops around here. I'll talk to them about price to machine the pistons before i pull the trigger on anything though.

Nozzles = more $$$ though. Which is something i don't have much of. And im already runnin a better turbo





They are 140, but they are also split shots. I've heard that the difference between stage one singles and splits is up to 50 horse. Obviously it might not be THAT much, but still there will be a difference. Some of that current 140 is going into the pilot shot.

Also lookin to get a bit more fuel mileage out of it.



I was talkin to him about it but neither of us have the money to do that sort of thing right now. He cant afford the chip to run them now and i cant afford hybrids, plus i got these injectors for FREE.

The $600 to have him do it is why i thought about the DIY route. If i found some free nozzles id do it but other than that any more injector work is way down the road. I need a house first
Okay i gotcha.... well that stage 1 kit is awesome.... it would go great with your 38r.
And you will definitely feel the difference for sure.... Just know that your transmission is going to like it a whole lot being its virtually stock. It will do fine, but it will decrease its life by a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-05-2010, 07:03 PM
PMR = JUNK

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW, Ohio
Posts: 11,189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Yeah, the trans is one of the biggest reasons i don't go bigger. I know i could have them de tuned, but whats the point in that?

I constantly remind myself how much a trans costs, that helps keep my foot a little lighter on the skinny pedal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors