Zener boost fooler kill low end?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Zener boost fooler kill low end??

I've seen some rumors floating around about the zener diode boost fooler setup robbing some of your low end power. Does anyone have any experience or proof of this? Can anyone explain how the mod would reduce low end power?

The zener should just be basically invisible to the system until the 4.7 volts is reached. What does everyone think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anybody know where this loss of low end power nonsense came from?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
cant say for sure if there is a loss of power,i mean,unless there is just a dramatic loss to were there is no boost,and just no guts or azz... the only way to really tell is #1 a dyno...#2 a good scanner. i have a mt2500 snap-on that reads all the sensors. not accurate on som things.but on most it is
Old 07-31-2010, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've wondered about how the A/F ratio can be correct at higher boost levels if you are truncating the MAP feedback to the ECM. For instance the mechanical solution of putting a valve or regulator inline to cut the feedback at 21-23 psi... Doesn't the ECM need to know how much boost pressure is being made in order to dump the correct amount of fuel? For example if you are acually making 28-29 psi and the ECM thinks you're only making 21-23. How does that work? Are MAP readings not as vital in a diesel engine vs. a gasser? Does a chip account for this missing information?

Thanks guys, still pretty new to diesels.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Without a fooler of some type your truck will defuel at higher boost psi. In stock applications your truck only makes about 23 or so psi IIRC.

With a chip (increased injection pressure, oil pressure and boost pressures), the truck will try to build higher than stock psi's. Once the psi gets over the factory set limit(I forget what it is, I think it is like 23 psi) it will start defueling. You'll lose boost pressure fuel and power.

With a boost fooler, it simply tells the PCM not to defuel. The injectors, HPO system, and the turbo will continue to deliver the parameters the chip is asking for.

As for the first question, I have never heard that theory that it will rob low end power. It makes no sense that it would
Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I have it and it works great. I see 40psi regularly and it never goes off
Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So does the MAP sensor feedback have any function on our diesels OTHER than over boost protection? Because if so, putting the zener in parallel there or installing a regulator/valve will fool more than just the overboost protection function.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

That's all the boost fooler will affect is a de-fueling situation.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i thought that i read anything over 17 psi, the computer sees it as max fuel.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:35 PM

There is no defuel on the Super Duty trucks regardless of boost amount. There is an overboost code that reduces the cycle time of the IPR. The result is a slower gain in acceleration, not a reduction of fuel. The way to see if you are setting this would be to scan for the code. This is off the top of my head and it may be wrong, but I think it is a P0236 that is the code. You can set them on 94-97's, but it is a higher differential than the 99-03's. I run a MAP Pressure Relief Valve on my 95.

However, I've seen various configurations of MAP sensor alterations and I would warn that most are ill conceived. The majority of the pressure relief set ups I've seen blow off actual boost and do not isolate excess boost to the MAP side only, leaving the manifold pressure able to rise. The electric modifications don't allow MDFR (Mass Desired Fuel Rate) on the low end early enough since they mitigate the overall boost by a percentage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.