Banks Ottomind chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks Ottomind chip

Hey guys I recently put in the Banks stinger plus system into my 2002 f250 7.3. The truck rips sounds great I just have a question about the ottomind chip though. Seems like the truck fell flat on its face when I just towed a light trailer with a 500 pound snowmobile in the back of it.

I put it in the right way, I think I cleaned it off correctly there was no white grease and scuffed it up with the scotch brite pad. How can I tell if this chip is working or not? And also it was 95 degrees out at the time of the tow.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 05:37 PM

what setting or level did you have the chip on when towing? it sounds like if defueled for some reason or another
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did you install the little ground wire on the map sensor that came with the kit? that keeps the ecm from seeing too much boost and is needed with that chip.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 PM

Okay number one there are no settings on the chip it is just a plug in into the ecu box. Number two yes I did put the ground cable in and hooked up I will ask my brother if he hooked it up correctly to the right cable by the way he's an electrician he basically did the whole kit for me. How much cleaning was I supposed to do with that little scotch bright pad I feel like the more I did the worse things could possibly get? Thanks.

Chris
Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 PM

yeah the more you clean it the worse it gets.. you just want to barely see a brass color around each terminal. if you clean too much it will ruin the terminals. chances are you just didnt clean it good enough. use some paint thinner and scotch pad to clean it off.. then use a qtip and alcohol to make sure no debris are left behind..
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 AM

Okay I will do that then. I am also thinking I want more power what else could I stack onto this truck as far as a chip from Banks that would kick some major butt. I was looking at the ottomind programer that plugs in and has the different settings.

Chris
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I posted this over on Diesel Bombers and since you already have a "chip" (the Ottomind), then putting a programmer on it will do nothing.

Here's the deal, plain and simple:

A flash programmer reprograms the flash memory in the power train control module (PCM).
It alters the way the PCM calculates outputs based on sensor inputs.

A fuel module (or HPOP module in this case) like an Edge Juice (or "10K"-style mod) alters inputs to the PCM therefore affecting the output of the PCM by fooling the PCM into "thinking" the injection pressure is lower than desired so it increases the injection pressure.

A chip bypasses the internal flash memory of the PCM completely ignoring the programming in the PCM that controls outputs. The outputs are controlled by the programming on the chip.

So, based on the above information, we can see that "stacking" is possible with two combinations we have seen. You can "stack" a fueling module with either a chip or a programmer, but you cannot "stack" a programmer and a chip and see any difference from what the chip is programmed to do.

What will "stacking" do for you?
Usually, it results in a check engine light and a code P1211 because the high pressure oil pump cannot keep up with the perceived demand. The tuning on most chips and programmers usually alters the desired injection control pressure by commanding an increase in injection pressure under most operating conditions. This helps a good bit with efficiency and power. By installing a fueling box ("10K" mod-style device that fools the PCM into creating more injection control pressure) in conjunction with aftermarket tuning that already increases the injection control pressure, you can see that the high pressure oil system will be taxed to the max. Not to mention that most studies have confirmed that 3200 PSI is close to the limit of efficient operation for stock injectors.....a lot of programmers and chips command near that amount by themselves. Add in a false input to the PCM that will cause it to try for more pressure and you can see where you'll run into problems.

You can run a chip on your truck or you can add in a "10K" mod device. It's up to you. However, you will simply be wasting your money. Oh, and if you do get a chip, DO NOT try to reprogram your PCM with the chip installed. You can keep your PCM reprogrammed with a chip installed, you just won't use the programming from the programmer while the chip is installed as whatever "tune" is loaded will be bypassed. If you run an injection pressure fooling device, the ICP data will be lower than actual and the IPR duty cycle will show up higher than normal on a scanner.

You can take this advice as it is and ignore it if you'd like to waste some money or you can put that money to better use somewhere else.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPDiesel View Post
I posted this over on Diesel Bombers and since you already have a "chip" (the Ottomind), then putting a programmer on it will do nothing.

Here's the deal, plain and simple:

A flash programmer reprograms the flash memory in the power train control module (PCM).
It alters the way the PCM calculates outputs based on sensor inputs.

A fuel module (or HPOP module in this case) like an Edge Juice (or "10K"-style mod) alters inputs to the PCM therefore affecting the output of the PCM by fooling the PCM into "thinking" the injection pressure is lower than desired so it increases the injection pressure.

A chip bypasses the internal flash memory of the PCM completely ignoring the programming in the PCM that controls outputs. The outputs are controlled by the programming on the chip.

So, based on the above information, we can see that "stacking" is possible with two combinations we have seen. You can "stack" a fueling module with either a chip or a programmer, but you cannot "stack" a programmer and a chip and see any difference from what the chip is programmed to do.

What will "stacking" do for you?
Usually, it results in a check engine light and a code P1211 because the high pressure oil pump cannot keep up with the perceived demand. The tuning on most chips and programmers usually alters the desired injection control pressure by commanding an increase in injection pressure under most operating conditions. This helps a good bit with efficiency and power. By installing a fueling box ("10K" mod-style device that fools the PCM into creating more injection control pressure) in conjunction with aftermarket tuning that already increases the injection control pressure, you can see that the high pressure oil system will be taxed to the max. Not to mention that most studies have confirmed that 3200 PSI is close to the limit of efficient operation for stock injectors.....a lot of programmers and chips command near that amount by themselves. Add in a false input to the PCM that will cause it to try for more pressure and you can see where you'll run into problems.

You can run a chip on your truck or you can add in a "10K" mod device. It's up to you. However, you will simply be wasting your money. Oh, and if you do get a chip, DO NOT try to reprogram your PCM with the chip installed. You can keep your PCM reprogrammed with a chip installed, you just won't use the programming from the programmer while the chip is installed as whatever "tune" is loaded will be bypassed. If you run an injection pressure fooling device, the ICP data will be lower than actual and the IPR duty cycle will show up higher than normal on a scanner.

You can take this advice as it is and ignore it if you'd like to waste some money or you can put that money to better use somewhere else.
well said

Hondaracer: if you go with a custom chip it will perform way better than any stacking you can do ive seen numerous of my friends tried it all stacking on these trucks do is create alot of smoke and ruin stuff just my opinion
Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM

I just put in stinger plus kit a week ago truck ran. Now I had a feeling that the truck wasn't performing correctly. I took out the ottomind chip. I recleaned the fingers until a light bronze color was showing. TRUCK WILL NOT START NOW! When I unplug the chip the truck starts what is happening what happened. Help.

Chris
Old 08-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You've most likely got a chunk of silicone in the chip contacts or still some stuck to the traces on the PCM board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.