I starting to want a Muffler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 350dieselsmk
I starting to want a Muffler

So my truck has a 4 inch down pipe to a 5inch straight pipe and it sounds awesome. but i'm really starting to get sick of how loud it is. the neighbors hate me cause i come home late and wake the entire neighborhood up at night. so i want to quiet it down a little bit but not restrict it too much. I have a TS chip and intake. My main question is. will soot clog the muffler up when i wanna go fast or will it blow right thru? anyone have suggestions on mufflers?
Thanks
Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to get a pass-thru muffler. That's what came with my MBRP 4". You look in one end, can see right through it. It does have a metal tube inside wrapped with fiberglass or something. It has holes with one side bumped out. The instructions said if the open side of the bumps face the cab, the exhaust will be quieter than if they are pointing toward the exhaust tip. I put mine toward the exhaust tip. Not overly loud, but I didn't run it without it to see what the difference would be.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to 350dieselsmk
hmm ill look into that. i was looking at aero turbines too. do those have a whistle type sound to them with the turbine? i love the scream my truck makes when i stomp on it but, driving it regularly is soo loud and i get alot of complaints
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
could just get one of those whisper mode tunes and coast her in when comin home late..
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350dieselsmk View Post
So my truck has a 4 inch down pipe to a 5inch straight pipe and it sounds awesome. but i'm really starting to get sick of how loud it is. the neighbors hate me cause i come home late and wake the entire neighborhood up at night. I deal with that a little too, I just come in easy without laying into it late in the evenings but remember, you can;t please everyone (they REALLY love me when I ride my dad's Harley...

so i want to quiet it down a little bit but not restrict it too much. I have a TS chip and intake. My main question is. will soot clog the muffler up when i wanna go fast or will it blow right thru? anyone have suggestions on mufflers? A pass-through muffler is your best bet but even a stock style (baffled) muffler should not clog up. You may even be able to contact the manufacturer of your existing exhaust and they may offer a muffler for your system.
Thanks
Will

Also, a lot of guys here speak highly of the Walker BTM (big truck muffler) and they say it doesn't destroy the sound but quiets them down around idle
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Just put one of these on it....

Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
off topic but i just watched that youtube video, and how did those people not get arrested as they drove away "showing off" thier new dumb A55 whistle muffler. Talk about wreckless driving, wrong lane, almost head on collision, and running a stop sign.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM

i notice that to right thur that stop sign.. wrong side of the road.. wow..
Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 AM

. I dont have a muffler but then again I live in the getto so my loud truck real early makes me feel better about the loud base all dang night! I say piss them off as long as you can lol, thats just me.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 AM

This reminds me of when I lived in WA I had a 40 Series Flowmaster on my '92 Dakota with a 318 in it - the "manager" of our neghborhood (HOA) told me he was going to start fining me for my truck being too loud (It was a 50 state legal muffler, and I still had a Cat on the truck). I did frequently come home late, and there was a speed bump right next to his house, so conveniently I would go slow enough to not make it over the bump the first time and have to throttle it to get over. I suppose if the guy wasn't a dick all the time to everyone, I would have probably been nicer about it.

Apparently your neighbors aren't blatant ******s like mine was or you probably wouldn't want to quiet it down. I'd suggest a flow through muffler with the baffles "cupping" the exhaust flow - really any "performance" you lose isn't going to be noticable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.