DP, TW, PHP Chips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DP, TW, PHP Chips

Ive read tons of threads on this topic but still have a question re: these 3 custom tunes.

Is there anyone who can comment about owning 2-3 of these tunes. And actually do a fair comparison review? One perspective is can a person who only has only owned a DP tune; can they really say a DP is performs better or worse than say a PHP or a TW tune.

I have a 2003 7.3 Excursion with 65k.
Its stock for the exception of the intake and 4" downpipe exhaust system
Im not doing much towing. but i like the 80hp for around town and the 110 for passing cars etc. And the drive through mode and maybe smoke for tail-gaters...

Will there be any differance between these tunes comparing a 80hp and a 120hp mode?

Thanks
B

Last edited by BraveHeartCalif; 07-21-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 PM

welllll since no one has replied (guess cause its a sensitive subject) ill say something....i have run a bullydog 6 pos and a sct and a dp on my truck.....no i havent ran a tw or php but would love to try there tunes. needless to say ill start with bully dog it wasnt great truck didnt run well trans ended up going. sct truck ran good i liked to be able to set up my shift pressure and such but power wasnt that great same with bully dog power wasnt great. dp great power but milage seemes to be worse for some reason. shifts have been a pain to get situated with the dp. im not a big fan of the sensitive pedal makes it hard to try to do well with the mpg's.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
honestly they are all good(TW, PHP, beans, DP, etc) from what everyone speaks of i think its preference, i have heard things about DP advancing time too much and a few engines grenading(not going to start an argument) that said i will be going with PHP when I get mine because of the price and service they are known for, as well as great tunes.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandproud View Post
welllll since no one has replied (guess cause its a sensitive subject) ill say something....i have run a bullydog 6 pos and a sct and a dp on my truck.....no i havent ran a tw or php but would love to try there tunes. needless to say ill start with bully dog it wasnt great truck didnt run well trans ended up going. sct truck ran good i liked to be able to set up my shift pressure and such but power wasnt that great same with bully dog power wasnt great. dp great power but milage seemes to be worse for some reason. shifts have been a pain to get situated with the dp. im not a big fan of the sensitive pedal makes it hard to try to do well with the mpg's.
Biggest reason you didn't is because Jody scaled back the timing. More timing will help you get better fuel mileage. If you want to have Jody adjust that he can.

Diane
Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
Biggest reason you didn't is because Jody scaled back the timing. More timing will help you get better fuel mileage. If you want to have Jody adjust that he can.

Diane

but wouldn't that go against what everyone is sayin about the tunes having too much timing? i honestly dont know about the timing on these engines, i dont know what the engine can take without turning into a time bomb but im sure ya'll at dp do. i would just really like to see better mpg out of the tunes. i can get 15 on stock pulling a trailer and get 12 with the tunes on and the truck unloaded. but i also want my engine to last
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I love Jody's tunes, being running them since 03. I believe Jody has the best towing tunes out there. I have driven several trucks with TW tunes and they ran well to. I have not tried PHP but know he supplied the tunes for SC which I hated, not saying that was his doing. There is no "Best" tune that everyone seems to ask for once a week at least. What is Best for me might be totally wrong for someone else. We all have to make a decision as to what works best for our needs. The good thing about buying custom tunes is you can always sell them without loosing a bunch of $$
Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ran a dp tuner on my automatic truck I had for almost 3 years. I liked it a lot. Good power, mileage was alright and it shifted good. The touchy pedal was sometimes hard to drive but I got use to it. I mainly just got bored with it and wanted to try something different. So i bought php tunes and i like them. Power was good and the shifting was good as well. Biggest difference between the two chips I noticed was the dp was a little more touchy on the go pedal then the php tunes. I'm sure Jody could tone down the touchy pedal if you wanted. To me they were both good chips.
I have a straight shift truck now and still running my php tunes so i couldn't compare the dp when it comes to a manual truck.

The DP chip is still in my family, its just in my brothers psd now and he loves it. I've driven his some and its hard to choose. To me it would come down to who ya wanted to call. When I did my php chip, I ordered there FU package. So I have the burner and access to there files so I can change tunes on the chip on my own that Bill offers. The php chip will only hold 6 tunes where the dp i think you can like 16 or so on it.

Tim

Last edited by tholt34; 07-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Thanks tholt34 for your sincere on hands review.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholt34 View Post
I ran a dp tuner on my automatic truck I had for almost 3 years. I liked it a lot. Good power, mileage was alright and it shifted good. The touchy pedal was sometimes hard to drive but I got use to it. I mainly just got bored with it and wanted to try something different. So i bought php tunes and i like them. Power was good and the shifting was good as well. Biggest difference between the two chips I noticed was the dp was a little more touchy on the go pedal then the php tunes. I'm sure Jody could tone down the touchy pedal if you wanted. To me they were both good chips.
I have a straight shift truck now and still running my php tunes so i couldn't compare the dp when it comes to a manual truck.

The DP chip is still in my family, its just in my brothers psd now and he loves it. I've driven his some and its hard to choose. To me it would come down to who ya wanted to call. When I did my php chip, I ordered there FU package. So I have the burner and access to there files so I can change tunes on the chip on my own that Bill offers. The php chip will only hold 6 tunes where the dp i think you can like 16 or so on it.

Tim
Tim

We offer the same thing now, only the F8 can be burned right in the vehicle.

New F8 and Destiny released
Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 PM

DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
Tim

We offer the same thing now, only the F8 can be burned right in the vehicle.

New F8 and Destiny released
That does look very intriguing. Is there any way to hook that up to your other switch, ie. non rotary switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.