hypertech power programer III questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hypertech power programer III questions

I just found a hypertech power programer III on craigslist for $125 it says for a 2000 7.3L. Im waiting for the guy to email me back on it. I beleive they no longer make these. Are these decent worth the money? I am gettting ready to order gauges on my 03 f250 7.3L 4x4 cc. After the gauges i plan on doing possibly a s&b intake and exhaust just not sure what yet for exhaust. But since i found this programer is it worth it? Im looking to possibly increase hp and fuel economy never had a programer before. Im not looking to go crazy dont want to be blowing transmissions or anything. thanks for any info
mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I have one for my '01. I like what it does to the truck. Definitely different than stock. The highest power level really wakes up the truck. You can adjust for tire size and firm up the shifts in the tranny. For economy, level 2 got me a couple more miles a gallon, IF I stayed out of it and drove relatively conservative. I run stock tires and I like the firmness of the tranny shifting.

Now is the best on the market? Many would say "No" and they may be right. For what I wanted with the truck, it works for me.

You are right, they don't make these anymore. They now have the MaxEnergy programmers that are internet updatable. These are not.

$125 is a good price. MAKE SURE he has returned his truck to the stock setting. These are only programmable to ONE truck at a time. IF he has not returned it to stock, it will not program your truck. The only way around that is to send it back to Hypertech to unlock it. I am having to do that now since I had to have my PCM replaced (It crapped - Not due to Hypertech), but it was programmed at the time and I couldn't read the PCM to return it to stock.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok thanks if i drive my truck out there to pick it up can i easily plug it in and find out if it will work? I want to make sure it is back to stock but i dont know if i should run the programer before i put my gauges in to monitor my egts ect. thanks
mark
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yep - You can plug into the OBDII port.

You turn the key to "ON" (don't start the truck) and hit 'start' on the programmer. As it is initializing, it gives you different information. IF he did not return it to stock, somewhere in there it will say, "Programmer has programmed" - If it does not say that, it will check for DTCs, if there are any it will tell you what they so you can write them down and allow you to clear them (needs to do that before it will program your truck), if there are none, it will then asked if you want to enter programming mode.

You can run the programmer before gauges. I did, but I would try to get them soon. Even after I put the gauges in, running empty I didn't find any circumstances where I could get the EGTs to 1250*. I would make WOT runs and couldn't do it. I can with my 5th wheel tagging along, but not empty.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's likely that the programmer will not work on your truck.

Hypertech was pretty good at making programmers for specific years of trucks and if it happens to be for a '00 pickup, it's a good bet that it will not work with your '03.

You can always try it though.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Dang it - I should have read your post more carefully. I apologize for not paying more attention. PHPDiesel is correct -

If you get the stock number, you might be able to check it on Hypertech's website.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Emergency Services

If that one doesn't work out Ive got one that is for the 01-03 trucks. Ive got mine programmed on level 2 and I like it...Im toying with the idea of selling it to get something different. I might be willing to part with it for the right price. PM me if you're interested.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok thanks for the replys. This guy is driving me nuts he keeps emailing me back but not answering my quesitons. It sounds like a good deal but i cant get the part number off of him and i decided im not going to drive an hour each way to find out it wont work on my truck or its programmed already. I might do some research on other programers. Just figured i couldnt beat the price. Im ordering my gauges and intake tomorrow so i will go from there. thanks
mark
Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ihad one long ago and while it is not bad, there are better programmers out there. The Superchips is a move up and has several tunes on the programmer. I just sold mine for $175..so keep looking, there are some out there for a decent price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.