Zerex antifreeze - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Zerex antifreeze

Anybody use Zerex antifreeze? I wich color of bottle do you use? I can get it prety cheap so I was gona go with it. I might be able to get a discount on CAT antifreeze too through work is all the CAT antifreeze ELC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
get the cat antifreeze!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yea, coolant is something you Do Not want to cheap out on with a diesel. To do it right, a flush and refill with the "good stuff" is going to cost you @ $100

I know, it seems like a lot to spend for what we always thought of as "antifreeze" but, this really is a different situation. Because of the Very High compression ratio of our diesels, and the knock produced in the cylinder, there are cavitation bubbles that can form on the outside wall in the coolant. This cavitation can ultimately lead to a pit forming in the metal that could actually turn into a hole!

Don't screw around, do it right, it's costs are initially high but over the long-run the ELC coolant lasts 100K or more so, you do get your money's worth

Get Fleetright, Rotella, CAT, any of the good ELC's and you won't regret it (stay AWAY from Fords though, it sucks....)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post

Get Fleetright, Rotella, CAT, any of the good ELC's and you won't regret it (stay AWAY from Fords though, it sucks....)
why dont you like the ford coolant
i have a 2002 with the yellow coolant i have to run
Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 AM

It turns out, that Fords Yellow Stuff doesn't even meet the Minimum protection IH recommends for the engine. I think, in an effort to reduce inventory in the shops, Ford hoped to simply use one coolant for everything.

I don't know they could do that,,,, but they did and I guess got away with it! Maybe that says something about what's really necessary in the coolant because, obviously, it hasn't turned-out to be a problem....

But, when it's time for a coolant change, let's go with the "good stuff"
Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Lubrication Addict

Go with the ELC... Add a coolant filter and forget about it... with nothing ever to add... I add 2 bottles of RMI-25 to keep things spotless inside.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
It turns out, that Fords Yellow Stuff doesn't even meet the Minimum protection IH recommends for the engine. I think, in an effort to reduce inventory in the shops, Ford hoped to simply use one coolant for everything.

I don't know they could do that,,,, but they did and I guess got away with it! Maybe that says something about what's really necessary in the coolant because, obviously, it hasn't turned-out to be a problem....

But, when it's time for a coolant change, let's go with the "good stuff"
hu...i was told the injector o-rings had to have the yellow on my year due to what the used that year.
if thats the case on the next flush im going to ELC (after i do more research of course)
Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

there is a tsb from international addressing which years can switch to elc coolant. if i remember correctly its all '99 and up, before that you have to stick to the green goo.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillls View Post
hu...i was told the injector o-rings had to have the yellow on my year due to what the used that year.
if thats the case on the next flush im going to ELC (after i do more research of course)
I too have an '02 but have never heard of an issue with O-rings and coolant.

I suspect it's not that Ford Yellow is made to specially be compatible, but rather that they don't recommend using the Ethylene Glycol (Green silica based) because of some reaction. I wouldn't be concerned about changing to another ELC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos30 View Post
there is a tsb from international addressing which years can switch to elc coolant. if i remember correctly its all '99 and up, before that you have to stick to the green goo.
My coolant was such a strange color in the degas bottle that I wasn't sure What it came with. IIRC, I went by the vin and found the truck was assembled in KY and ALL those trucks, that year, had yellow put in them.

I think you can put ELC in ANY engine BUT,,,,, if it's got "Green" in there now you have to be sure to flush EVERY BIT of it out! A Super Flush out of the heater core is especially important because any silica left will gel in reaction to the new chemistry of the ELC.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM

this is interesting info
i like what im hearing so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.