Another satisfied DP customer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another satisfied DP customer

I just installed and did my first test drive of my DP Tuner and I couldn't be happier. I ordered the F5 with: No start, Stock, Quiet Drive Thru, 60hp Tow Codes, 80hp Econ Codes, 120hp Race Codes and the JMS Ex Switcher In-Dash mount. I received it within 3 days of ordering.
I am a bit of a neat freak so I took most of an afternoon doing the dash install (what a leap of faith taking a Dremel to virgin dash plastic), but I am very happy with how it turned out. The instructions are very good (lots of pictures), plus there are at least 2 pretty decent videos around showing the chip install.
Everything you have heard about going from no chip to chip is true. I was satisfied with how my '02 ran before, but even on 80hp Econ it makes it seem like I was dragging about a dozen boat anchors behind me and now they are gone. Total difference. It sounds like a worn out cliche but it really is like driving a new truck. I haven't had a chance to nug out the MPG difference yet but next fill-up I will crunch the numbers and update this post. I am throwing out a lot more black smoke when I ahem legally pass slower drivers, but hey I don't pretend to be driving a Prius.
If you don't have a chip yet, make it the next thing you buy. Whatever brand you get is up to you, but I couldn't justify getting a generic Brand X tune when DP specializes in my truck and has proven their product time after time. It is one of the few upgrades you will do that makes so much of a difference, and if you can keep your foot out of the deep end of the go pedal, it will pay for itself in a few months.

Thanks Jody for putting out a great product and making me love my truck even more.

-JD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Yep, Jody is the man!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

I second this one! Just got DP on my truck this week too! I love it. Night and Day difference. I picked up a ton of tunes on mine. Let me know how you come out on mpg too. I havent been able to get a good estimate on mine yet because I have been playing around a lot with the 120 and some with the 140. Hopefully this next tank will tell.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

congrats on the new purchase, but it'll probably take atleast a month or 2 of the "check out my black smoke" before you get over the excitement of a new go fast part and can try getting some good milage that install looks awesome too!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred_stroker View Post
I second this one! Just got DP on my truck this week too! I love it. Night and Day difference. I picked up a ton of tunes on mine. Let me know how you come out on mpg too. I havent been able to get a good estimate on mine yet because I have been playing around a lot with the 120 and some with the 140. Hopefully this next tank will tell.
140 with PMR's? Be careful.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Looks good, how big a hole did you have to make to get the cable through?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM

I love the way you did the install. Did you happen to take any more pics of how you did the dash mount??
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
140 with PMR's? Be careful.
Nothing wrong with big hp tunes on pmrs. Or even bigger injectors for that matter.

Timing is what makes a connecting rod fail.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgb180 View Post
I see you got the A/C all the way down cold! And based on your Avatar picture, I'm assuming you're in Michigan... must get mighty hot, even up there in the summer time!

Install looks sick! I'll have to show this to my bud... we've been going back and forth on which DP switch we want to go with. Congrats on the new upgrade!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A few pics of the dash install

Thanks all for the kind words. I will add a few pics of the project, I think it will answer your questions better than I can explain.

1- I popped out the 4wd switch to make sure I wasn't going to cut or drill into anything behind the plastic. Once I determined it was safe, I set the 4wd switch back in place so I could measure and sketch out my cut lines on the painter's tape:

2. The dimensions of the in-dash mount (the part of it that fits into the dash) are 1.5" wide x 2.25" tall. I made my lines slightly smaller than that so I could file off just enough material to get it in but it is so tight that I don't need any other adhesive to hold it in place. I measured, remeasured, eyeballed it and tweaked it until I was happy it was centered side to side and sat close to even with the 4wd switch up and down. There is no perfect because the dash is neither square nor flat; you just have to get it where it will make you happy. Once I had it where I wanted, I drilled my corners out with a 1/8" bit:

3. Then I Dremel'ed out the rough hole, with about 1/16" material left and the corners to be filed out:

4. Once it was about 95% cleaned up, I took off the painter's tape and made small adjustments to the hole with an exacto knife and a square file, constantly test fitting the mount. Here are a couple of pics of what is behind the dash in that area, notice the objects at the bottom of the hole and to the right side in case you want to mount something larger than 1 1/2" x 2 1/4":

5. Once my hole was done, I shop-vac'd and wiped everything down, ran my cable from the PCM up to my hole, and plugged everything in:

I hope this answers any questions. I have a bunch more pics but these tell the whole dash story. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Take care

-JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.