Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2002 F250 Tune Question

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mattlinke 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all --

We recently purchased a 2002 F250 pickup.

It has an aftermarket exhaust, propane kit with MSD computer (not currently hooked up), and possibly it is tuned.

I am VERY happy with the overall performance of this truck as it sits right now, which i know isnt stock.

My questions for you guys are:

I believe the truck is tuned, but only because it shifts HARD, it also doesnt "let go" when you let off the pedal, it takes a few seconds of slowing down to return to idle: i dont believe this is "normal". Can I purchase any aftermarket tuner system and tinker with the computer, or do i need to use the one that was originally (if anything) used on the truck?

Does anyone know where I can get info on the propane system? Should I even use it? It is an MSDkit, and its hooked into an MSD propane injection computer module under the dash. The switch that activates it does nothing currently (i think its disconnected from power) but i want to make sure 100% that its wired in before I use it if I do. I searched for the MSD box and found no info thus far, anything you can provide would be helpful.

I have really only played around with gas motors until now, its my GF's diesel, but she wants a little more power (god bless her). I think a tune is the best way since it has all the simple "bolt ons" that I can think of.

Pardon my Newbness, I am a new member to this forum as well.

Thanks in advance
Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
you could pull the PCM & open it up to check for a chip inside.
first thing you should do though is get a set of gauges (everyone on here will tell you that),
didnt mention anything about an intake, that will get you more power & better mileage.

#3 ·
The truck came with a pyrometer, and boost gauge.

I am going to do an intake as well: forgot to mention that.

I will look up how to look for a chip in the PCM. If there is one in there, do I need to remove it to tune the PCM? Can I remove it and not replace it with anything?

Thanks!
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.