Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DIY Intake vs. AFE or S&B

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Diezel Dawg 
#1 ·
Is there any advantage at all to buying a aftermarket intake vs. making one myself?

#2 ·
I run a AFE stage 2 on my truck and I love it but I got it used for a good price, from What I have seen from others the diy intake with the 6637 filter flows just as good if not better than the aftermarket intakes and it's way cheaper!

#5 · (Edited)
The 6637 has to be replaced each time. I'm going with an Amsoil 4095 filter and Prewrap for my DIY kit (as some others on here have). Not much more expensive than the 6637 filter, but it is a lifetime filter (washable and reusable). It also has a place in the front of it to mount your air pressure gauge, and it has a bolt installed on the front so you can mount a mounting bracket on it to keep it in place if you would like. Just makes more $$$ sense than the 6637 does IMO.

S&B and AFE also sell just the filters if you want to upgrade your DIY kit to a washable/reusable filter as well. They will require oil whereas the Amsoil filter is dry and does not require oil.

#4 ·
I have the dry filter so I just mix up some light degreaser spray on it let it soak for a few then rinse it out with the hose legit dry overnight and put it back in the next morning. With the 6637 filter you have to repLace it each time

#8 ·
Choosing your air intake all depends on what your "normal" driving conditions are. I have the AFE Stage II intake with the Pro5R filter, simply because I never go off road... and I don't live in a dusty/dirty area (ie on a farm).

If you live off of a dirt road, or go off roading fairly often, you might want to look at filters that have more layers for filtration. If you don't live, or drive, on dusty roads--then look at filters that are made for maximum air flow. :thumb:

#9 ·
TYMAR gets my vote

#10 ·
i vote AFE stg. II or a DIY with a washable filter.

They actual Tymar is too much $$$ you can get a AFE for a few bucks more.

#11 ·
AFE STage II is twice as much as a TYMAR. where did u get your info on the TYMAR?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.