Quarter Horse reader programmer questions??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quarter Horse reader programmer questions???

I am looking at getting a Quarter Horse setup so that I can read and burn/ change my Programming on the fly and permanently.
Is anyone running this setup?
I know that that is what Tony is using to setup and burn chips, If I am not mistaken, if so correct me.
My deal is I have 3 trucks that are 99-03 and don't want to pay for the new chips and programs for all 3 trucks, this way I can burn them myself and run it in all 3 trucks. Plus looking into expanding the business and adding 2 more trucks for a total of 5 trucks that is a lot of cash.
I am looking for others that have a little more experience in this field..... Tony chime in if you have a chance, I know you are busy.

As you can see in my Signature, I have a early 99 with a 6 speed, so I don't need to change any tranny parameters, etc.

I have searched this forum for info on these burners and come up with a lot of info, but nothing stating if you have to be a brain/ computer geek to make all this work out. I am a contractor not a computer GURU...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Quarterhorse from Moates.net IS NOT a burner. It is an emulator designed to be used as a live tuning device or as a chip only. It will not write tunes.

I'm not going to speak for Tony, but I'm quite positive that he uses the same hardware we use which is the Romulator from xtronics.com and it must be used with specific tuning software to operate properly.

Jody Tipton of DP-Tuner has an exclusive business relationship with Craig Moates as far as 7.3L tuning hardware goes.

There are companies that sell tuning software and are available to give tuning advice. We are one of those companies.

The tunes for your E99 truck are not going to be the same as your other 7.3L trucks anyway.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 AM

This is going to be your biggest problem:

From Moates.net:

"Good news: Our hardware (Quarterhorse, F3, F2A+F2E) works great on diesel trucks

Bad news: As of this time (2-25-10) there are NO PUBLIC DEFINITION FILES for software that supports our hardware. (TunerPro RT, EEC Editor, Binary Editor)

Bottom line: Unless you know someone that can provide you with a ready-to-program binary for your diesel or a definition for your ECM, we can’t help you."

The last part is the one that will kick your butt. My suggestion is to either pay the money for pre-programmed chips from any one of the vendors/sponsors of this site, or pay for dedicated tuning software that you can run right out of the box. Nope, neither one is going to be cheap.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

PHPDiesel- Thank you for all your help, I appreciate the info that you have given me.
But, doesn't there have to a binary file out there for these trucks? I mean people are programing them right?
I am just really tired of trying a chip or program out to find out that it won't work, or isn't right for my truck. Examples, I have had these items installed in my main truck, Diablo Sport, TS Performance 6 position chip, SCT SF3 tuner, every time I pull a heavy load the EGT's go through the roof, and fuel mileage goes through the floor, 8 to 9 mpg.
The biggest kick in the pants is that the SCT SF3, when I return the truck to stock to pull a load I loose a unlock for the truck, even though it is going back into the same truck, VIN code, that is messed up, next time I pull the code the tuner will be locked out and have to be sent out to SCT to get more unlocks for it.
I guess if ya want the truck to pull like I know it will, I just have to fork over the money for all the chips or get a software program out of the box to do it.....
.... Do you sell a software program out of the box that can program these trucks? If so, how much am I looking at?
all 3 of my trucks, that I have now are E99 builds (built before 12/7/98) so the binary info should be the same. The 2 new trucks that I am looking at are 2000 and a 1999.5 model, so I suppose that will change everything too?????
Thank you again for all your help.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probuilder View Post
PHPDiesel- Thank you for all your help, I appreciate the info that you have given me. You're welcome. I just want to help spare anyone from the aggravation and expenditure of money that I went through myself while trying to do my own tuning.

But, doesn't there have to a binary file out there for these trucks? I mean people are programing them right? Ha. There are dozens upon dozens of stock binaries. Ford didn't make it easy on the "hackers" because they made so many different PCMs with different binary addressing to keep the initial tuners on their toes.

I am just really tired of trying a chip or program out to find out that it won't work, or isn't right for my truck. Examples, I have had these items installed in my main truck, Diablo Sport, TS Performance 6 position chip, SCT SF3 tuner, every time I pull a heavy load the EGT's go through the roof, and fuel mileage goes through the floor, 8 to 9 mpg. As you have found out, there are a lot of products out there that will increase performance. Unfortunately, the research and development that goes into each one is the result of hours upon hours of figuring out how and where to get the PCM information and how to get the information back to the PCM with modified parameters.

The biggest kick in the pants is that the SCT SF3, when I return the truck to stock to pull a load I loose a unlock for the truck, even though it is going back into the same truck, VIN code, that is messed up, next time I pull the code the tuner will be locked out and have to be sent out to SCT to get more unlocks for it. That right there IS complete BS. I have never heard of such idiocy.

I guess if ya want the truck to pull like I know it will, I just have to fork over the money for all the chips or get a software program out of the box to do it..... Well, performance is relative. Believe it or not, you are getting the most out of your truck with any one of those products you mentioned. How each one goes about getting you that extra 100 HP isn't going to be the same between each one, but you are at the limit for your stock injectors at 85-90 HP anyway (E99 with AB's). No matter who does the tuning or what kind of chip or programmer you use (forget about 10K style mods), your truck will be maxed out at about 290 RWHP.

.... Do you sell a software program out of the box that can program these trucks? If so, how much am I looking at? Right here:Power Hungry Performance - Minotaur™

all 3 of my trucks, that I have now are E99 builds (built before 12/7/98) so the binary info should be the same. The 2 new trucks that I am looking at are 2000 and a 1999.5 model, so I suppose that will change everything too????? As long as they are all E99 trucks with similar transmissions, you should be good to go with one set of binary and definitions. If you have one with a different transmission....well....the definition and binary will be different. Sometimes you can get away with using an automatic definition with a manual binary....but it depends on the base file. Yes, a 99.5-00 truck will be different than an E99.
Thank you again for all your help.
See replies in red and the link in blue.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, that is great information, but way to expensive for me to put into trucks that will never pay for the fuel economy that could be reached from them.
So this is what Tony and you all do have for programing these trucks?
Who or were do I call to get my truck chip burnt to exactly what will work with all the mods, etc that are done to my truck? I need a phone #, since I am having a hard time finding your website, please.
How long will it take to get my chip, and do you do free reburns or send me a file to upload to my chip, by email or download, if I change something on the truck? Is there something special that I need to upload new files to my chip? I would like to have a few programs on one chip, approx 6 positions. These would be what I want: Stock, High Idle, Light towing, Heavy towing, Street & Smoke (or something cool, if ya know what I mean). I don't beat or abuse the truck, just like to show the smoke every once in a while... ...loud radios in cars next to me.. he he smoke makes them roll up their windows.
What am I looking at for a price on one chip. I would like to test it out on my personal truck, then probably get it for the rest.
Is there a way to program the chip so that if any of the parameters get too high it will de-fuel the truck, so employees don't tear a truck up?
If you give me a phone # I will call you.
Does your company take Paypal?
Thank you in advance.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
So this is what Tony and you all do have for programing these trucks?

Yes. We use a PCMX-based program to perform our programming.
Who or were do I call to get my truck chip burnt to exactly what will work with all the mods, etc that are done to my truck? The order form is here http://gopowerhungry.com/order_forms...20Signable.pdf and you can put in any modifications or specifics about each truck's needs.

I need a phone #, since I am having a hard time finding your website, please. You can call us at 678-963-9913 to discuss your needs, but we will require the order form to be filled out to process any order.

How long will it take to get my chip, and do you do free reburns or send me a file to upload to my chip, by email or download, if I change something on the truck? Is there something special that I need to upload new files to my chip?
It seems to me that this Power Hungry Performance - FU™ Performance Chip Package may be in order. It allows you any number of reburns on your chip(s). The cool thing is that you would have access to programs for any of your trucks, but you would only need to buy one burner. There is a fee for additional PCM families to be added, but it's a great deal.

What am I looking at for a price on one chip. I would like to test it out on my personal truck, then probably get it for the rest. The FU package is $495 and additional chips are $250 each. The Phoenix modules are between $275 and $400 depending on the calibrations selected.

Is there a way to program the chip so that if any of the parameters get too high it will de-fuel the truck, so employees don't tear a truck up? Actually, the PCM will correct for overboost if you'd like it to, but unfortunately, the PCM is unable to "see" EGT so it is not controllable by the PCM. We offer valet modes and Teen Driver modes to limit speed and power, but you would have to keep the employees from knowing where the switch is for selecting programs.

Does your company take Paypal? We can if you so desire, but we do have an online credit card invoice system in place to make it trouble free.
Thank you in advance.
You are welcome. See replies in red.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

PHPDiesel,
Thank you again and again.
Just one question left unanswered, how long will it take me to get my chip, burner and all the files, from the date of purchase? I live in Ladora, IA 52251-0209.
Also, just so I am clear here, (I'm a little slow sometimes), $495.00 will be the totasl for the FU chip, burner and the tunes?
With the mods that I have do I need a custom tune, for pulling trailers of 30K+ gross weight of truck, trailer and load?
Again, Thank you
Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

one other thing, my computer has supposedly been changed from the automatic to a manual transmission when they did the tranny swap. Is there a way to look at the computer it self and get the codes for you? The last TS performance chip was setup to a DAC2 base program?????? Does that sound right for this E99 truck w/ 6 spd manual?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
PHPDiesel,
Thank you again and again.
Just one question left unanswered, how long will it take me to get my chip, burner and all the files, from the date of purchase? I live in Ladora, IA 52251-0209.
Also, just so I am clear here, (I'm a little slow sometimes), $495.00 will be the totasl for the FU chip, burner and the tunes?
With the mods that I have do I need a custom tune, for pulling trailers of 30K+ gross weight of truck, trailer and load?
Again, Thank you
The FU package can ship immediately (as soon as the invoice is paid). Iowa is a 3-day ship.

$495 gets the burner, the software, the chip, and access to the tunes for your truck. Unless you have injector modifications, you do not need custom tunes. 30K lb. will put you in the 25 HP range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.