Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

detroit locker or posi traction?

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  85_305 
#1 ·
im wanting to put a detroit locker or posi in my truck its just a big toy and i dont know which one would be worth the money. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
The best working locker in extreme situations is going to be the full blown Detriot. They take a TON of abuse. You might feel it clicking on the road a little bit when it freewheels but I have never had a worry about it. It in no way hurts the unit just some people do not the feel of it unlocking. They are just about bullet proof as long as you do not break an axle shaft. They do not like that too much. Alot of times they will take the pins and or side gears with the shaft. But in this application unless you are figuring out how to get alot better traction then you will be no where close to breaking shafts. Maybe if you pull a sled and get to bouncing then the shafts would puke. JJ

#5 ·
I run a detroit in the back of mine and ii love it!!! i sled pull with it and daily drive with it and its great. the only thing is sometimes the spring in it will pop kind of loud and it will scare you and think u left your rearend in the rd. lol. but no worrys everything is fine. :thumb: been running it and 4.56's for over 2 years with close to 30,000 on it and its doin great!

#6 ·
Detroit Locker hands down, you will never go back to anything else! I've had the stock ford posi POS, the Auburn posi...better but still wore out, and a Eaton posi....after getting one wheel spins after a few years of abuse, I ripped out both front and rear differentials and replaced with DETROIT LOCKERS....and never looked back....just 100% lockup anytime you need it all the time. It is a little squirrly in the rain and it will pop every now and then to scare the crap out of you, but it's a badd azz bullet proof unit and well worth the money:wink[3]:

#10 ·
yeah man, I have a True-Trac front and rear in my truck and they work great!! it doesnt lock up around corners unless i'm accelerating, but be careful cuz if your in the pedel to much she'll slide right around on ya. ecpecially if its wet. I have a regular cab so its pretty easy to do, and fun! and as far as durability goes.. lets put it this way, a few weeks ago I blew my rearend doin burnouts and doughnuts with 38's and it cleaned the teeth off my ring and even the pinion too.. but the true-trac.. Still 100% perfect. no damage done. changin from the 5.13's i just cleaned out to 4.56's and reusing the same locker.. so whichever you choose, ENJOY!

#12 ·
It's replacing the carrier. You have a stock Trac lok limited slip in rear, you can remove and install a Detroit true Trac or locker

#13 ·
Depends what your doing with the truck?

My truck with meaty tires and Ford rear LSD will go thru anything and is an absolute tank. Put a bit of weight over the rear wheels and they bite down real nice. Rare that I have to use 4bi.

I use the truck on ranch/farm, ski country/hills, medium mud/rocks etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.