Suggestions for building my 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackSmoke&BuckinHorses
Suggestions for building my 7.3

Here we go... I am building a "new" engine for my truck. Theres nothing wrong with the old one I just figure I will start working on another one and when it gets done I will swap'em and build the first one. Here's what I am going for... Mileage...I would like to try for a legitimate 21+ MPG. I am at 18MPG now so it shouldn't be all that difficult. The factory 235hp 500tq, plus whatever all the crap I have done, is plenty of power for what I do with it so power is not my main concern although I will gladly take any extra I can come up with. I am also going to throw some "beef it up" parts in there also just for fun. I would like to hear everyones opinion and parts lists but lets try to be original here guys. In searching this forum I have found 7 posts where a person new to the diesel world is asking what to do for more power other than the obvious, intake, exhaust, blah blah blah, and 7 times people have said 238cc hybrids, big oil and a GT38R with a 1.00A/R. There is not a doubt in my mind that is a great power combo but thats not what everyone needs. I want everyones opinion as stated earlier but please also give reasons as to why you are suggesting a particular part. Anyone can make a list of parts, I want to know the why behind the list

My List:
Single shot injectors (Swamps probably) not sure of the sizing yet - research shows better efficiency out of single shots
Adrenaline HPOP - plenty of oil to work injectors
Turbo. Not sure yet - move a bit more air if/when needed
Regulated return - keep fuel in head where it belongs
Twin factory pick-up pumps and bigger fuel line - plenty of fuel if/when needed. Plus I like the "fail safe" of having 2 pumps
Custom tunes on 6 pos. chip - because they are needed to run single shots. Plus I can have a highway, tow and actafool setting.
Balanced rotating assembly - cut down torsional vibration = smoother running = lees power lost to vibration
Polished heads and exh. manifolds - smoother air flow
Head studs - stronger than bolts
Aftermarket head gaskets - so there are no worries about blowing one when goofing around
Block girdle - stiffen block, cut down on block twist

I think thats it. lol. Its probably not but I will add to it if I forgot anything. Sorry for the long post but just wanted to make sure all the info was out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have stage 3 injectors, regulated fuel return system, 6 pos. chip and i still run the stock hpop. If you get their hybrid injectors you shouldnt need another pump. My truck has 200,000 miles on it and it still runs great so far lol. The single shot injectors are a must and so is the regulated fuel return system so you dont starve the number 1 and 8 injectors, i would go with a FASS fuel system. Im not sure about the turbo cause im still looking for one myself, but it sounds like your heading in the right direction and not trying to cut corners.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

-for fuel... i would run a regulated return with dual stock pumps. fass/airdog is a waste of money for us.
-for air... the turbo should be a gtp38r because its ball bearing and will be more efficient than the stock, i would also run a DIY or some type of aftermarket intake, followed by the Zoodad mod to allow more air flow.

thats my .02
Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL7.3 View Post
-for fuel... i would run a regulated return with dual stock pumps. fass/airdog is a waste of money for us.
-for air... the turbo should be a gtp38r because its ball bearing and will be more efficient than the stock, i would also run a DIY or some type of aftermarket intake, followed by the Zoodad mod to allow more air flow.

thats my .02
Thanks for the reply. I figured more would post up on this. Oh well... I am not totally sold on the idea of Ball Bearing turbos yet. I know they work and hold up but I just haven't seen any proof that they are any better or worse than a regular bushing type turbo. Correct me if I'm wrong (it does happen from time to time lol). A ball bearing turbo is supposed to be more efficient because ball bearings have less friction a compared to a bushing type bearing... Correct? When the engine is running, the turbo is getting full pressure oil. The shaft is riding on a cushion of oil, not against the bushing itself. Just like the rod, main and cam bearings in the engine. ='s little to no friction. If someone has tested the difference between a bushing type and a BB turbo I would love to hear about it and see results.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wow man, that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for 3mpg you want.
There really isn't a way to build a 7.3 for mileage
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice list you've started, but it's not goin got give you what you're looking for IMO. It will give you some power, but mileage ??
Oh, and you sure won't need the girdle with that setup
Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Wow man, that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for 3mpg you want.
There really isn't a way to build a 7.3 for mileage
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice list you've started, but it's not goin got give you what you're looking for IMO. It will give you some power, but mileage ??
Oh, and you sure won't need the girdle with that setup

It would seem like alot of trouble but its really not. I was already planning on building another engine so why not throw some goodies in it. I also figured I should have a goal to shoot for, and since I don't really "need" any more power, mileage became my goal. Yeah, I know I don't won't need the girdle but one day I do plan, plan being the key word, on trying for 1,000hp on fuel alone (maybe not with this engine, deffinately not on this setup) so might as well get it now. Plus I like the idea of block girdles. Thanks for the post SouthPaw, if you have any suggestions I would love to here 'em.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

1,000 on fuel eh?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Thats a while down the road. Just thinking I might try my hand at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.