What first??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What first???

So, I just bought a 2001 F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3. This is the first diesel I've owned. My questions' what should I do first? It has a 121K miles on it. I have a semi-tight budget but don't want to spend an a ton of cash. Its a super cab short bed 4x4 with a automatic. And I want everything that's with in reason. I've been told to get a cold air intake, big exhaust, Bully Dog tuner, chip and the list goes on. I don't even know if it has dual turbo's. What's an easy way to find out? I've owned big Fords before but this is one is the first that doesn't run on 89-110 octane. So, looking for suggestions from the ones who know it all. Also, is there any good books to look at? To help with future idea's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
its a single turbo... they didnt make a dual turbo until 2008...

do not get the bully dog chip or tuner....

here are my suggestions

DIY intake
straight pipe your stock exhaust or a 4" budget exhaust kit
Gauges ( Glowshift start at 209.00, autometers 300+)
custom tuned chip like a TW, DP or PHP

as far as other suggestions i suggest a larger trans cooler at min..

if you have any other questions feel free to ask

-Raul
Old 06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So, I found that the exhaust has already been done. Next I was looking at a K&N intake kit but, from what I've read it only adds 7 more horses. Is this about all I can get from K&N or should I be looking at a dry flow?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to BlackSmoke&BuckinHorses
The DIY intake is the best way to go. It flows just as well as most of the aftermarket intakes and in MUCH cheaper. I did mine for nearly for free with stuff I had laying around the shop, + the price of the filter. Although I disagree with the neccesity of custom tunes on a rig with nothing more than intake and exhaust, I would deffinately get a chip or programmer capable of being custom tuned just incase down the road you want to upgrade. Gauges and a trans cooler are also top priority.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:32 PM

you can make your own intake alot cheaper. just search for a diy intake in the forums and theres complete instructions on how to make it and excatly what youll need and its alot cheaper and works just as well. and forget about the bully dog i used to have one then i went to a custom chip and its so so much bettter. and theyre safer for your motor and tranny and if you are looking for more power you can get bigger injectors and hpop and turbo and on and on. The question is how much power do you want and how much are you willing to spend. it dont take much to get alot of money into these motors and i would also recomend getting some guages. you dont wanna go turning it up without them. and if you add a chip youll prolly wanna upgrade your tranny a lil with a vb and shift kit. Itll just make your tranny last longer in the end.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Emergency Services

We pretty much have the same truck .

If i could go back in time, the first mod i would have done would be the DIY intake. Probably the most important one I've done so far. Only cost me $65 bucks. And boy does it sound good lol

After that a simple muffler delete pipe for your stock 3.5" exhaust will provide sufficient airflow to support the intake. Cost me another $65 bucks.

After that a good custom programmed tuner (I recommend diesel innovations ) and it will really wake up the truck. Mine was about $400 bucks.

Then after that most guys will say to get guages....i currently don't have them. IMHO, as long as you drive normal, even with a chip, gauges aren't really a necessity. But most say otherwise.....

And most importantly.....enjoy your truck!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Raul pretty much summed it up !!! Will make it a completely different truck that will make you smile every time you slide behind thye wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.