Early 99 PCM swap or not? I'm Dazed and confused - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Early 99 PCM swap or not? I'm Dazed and confused

I have read almost every post on here about switching IDM and PCM from early 99 to late 99 to 2003 PCM and IDM.

So what is the best setup? Or should I just keep the early 99 system?
I am wanting the pcm to show the cruise light and the tranny temp, and give me more Torque, that the newer models have, at the stock settings.

I am also wanting to switch back from a SF3 tuner to a 6 position chip.
... some people swear by retuning the chip after you get it instead of a canned program that they come out with...
I had a TS 6 pos chip in this truck before I went to the SF3 Tuner. The TS 6 pos chip had a lot more usable power and towing with lower EGT's.

I am looking for a chip that has a excellent towing program with lower EGT's and a good fuel economy program. The rest I can do with out. So a 4 pos chip would be great. High idle, stock, towing, and economy.

I would like to know if I am better off to get a Edge system or a bully dog or go back to a ts perfomance chip then weather to reprogram it or not????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

I would not run an edge or a bully frog chip. I would get your TS chip reprogrammed with tunes from PHP or TDP or DI.

Is there a trans temp sending unit in the manual transmission that your SF3 can read? Or do you need to add an electrical sending unit with a single gauge?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wouldnt run a bully dog or edge like strokin early said id go with a custom tune. once you do youll never look back. and you can change your pcm to a later pcm. the best is the pmt1 but you can get a good one out of a 01 or 02 truck.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin_early_99 View Post
I would get your TS chip reprogrammed with tunes from PHP or TDP or DI.
Who are these people, PHP, TDP, DI?

I don't have a sending unit, but this is a 6 SPD manual, do I really need one? I do pull this truck about 90% of the time, at loads over 30K total (Truck and Trailer)

The PMT1 isn't that setup for the newer double shot injectors? Will that still work with my early 99's (Mine are stock)??
What does this PCM (PMT1) do for the truck?

Remember the only thing that I am looking for is fuel economy and towing. Every chip or program that I have had, in the towing mode, runs my EGT's up to 1200 if over 1/4 throttle. I am looking to get the same power that I have now with lower EGT's if possible.
I already have a DIY Amsoil air intake w/ EGR deleted into the intake, 4" down tube and 5" exhaust stack, 3.73 gears.

I know that there are a lot of people that are looking for smoke or fast horsepower, to go fast in the quarter mile or down a 250' sled pulling competition, but I am looking for mountain and hill pulling, with out damaging the truck. But when I put the truck back to stock, (which cost me a unlock with the SCT tuner) it is a dog. Maybe I just need a Cummins or a Cat like I am used to?

Who can build me a towing tune and a economy tune? I hear Tony is good, but don't know who he is?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Tony is from total diesel performance and thats who i run and iam very happy with his tunes. but i didnt realize you had a manual so iam not sure if u want a pmt pcm but a newer pcm will help. and as far as tunes go with your truck tony can tune it to your specific needs id just call him and talk to him and tell him what u want out of your tune and he can fine tune it for your needs. if you go with a custom tune pay attention to what kind you get alot of the tuners will do free reburns, so if you start adding performance parts you can send it back and get it tuned for your new parts. and if your truck is stock it should have split shot injectors stock if iam not mistaken. but the power you get out of a custom tune is better than ANY generic chip. if you get a six position chip you can have diffrent power and towing tunes and you could even have a stock tune if thats what you want. Tony is very good at what he does and IMHO his tunes are safer and have more power than any other generic tune. just look into it and if you have more questions feel free to pm me.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you for all your help. I will get ahold of Tony
Old 06-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have a stock early 99 like me they are still split shots. Only obs had singles
Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you all for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Get the DP Tuner

I bought my DP tuner last year with just a 60 HP tow tune and a 80 HP econo tune. This last weekend I drove the 700 miles to Denver with the trailer loaded. I had Jody live tune it for me. Makes a night and day difference. I was having trouble with the EGT's getting up there when pulling my 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer(Mirage) fully loaded. My truck is an early build with a 6 spd 3.73 and posi-traction .The truck runs even better now that it was live tuned. now. Give DP tuner a call.What do you have to lose but a phone call.

Last edited by COP-OUT; 07-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.