Muffler delete pipe question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Muffler delete pipe question

I recently ordered this delete pipe and two 3.5" clamps for my stock exhaust....

99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Stock Muffler Delete Pipe

Got it a few hours ago and went to get it installed (no sawzall at home) and the first place i went to said it wouldn't fit unless it was welded in place. I didn't want to do this 'cause come inspection time i want to be able to swap the muffler back in, then back to straight pipe afterword's.

Anyways i went to another muffler shop down the road and same thing....they would either have to weld it in place or they would need about another foot of 3.5" exhaust pipe to make it fit with clamps.

Then to a third place a bit further away and same thing.....they would have to weld it in place.

Question is, isn't the pipe supposed to just clamp in place ready to go once the muffler is cut out? I held the pipe up to the muffler and it seems it's the right shape to just go in place no problems. What the heck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Muffler Delete

It looks to me that the ends of the pipe neck down instead of flaring out like you would need. If they flared out, then the stock pipe would slide into the ends of this pipe, and you can use clamps to attach it. This is how my Walker BTM muffler fit with clamps. Surprisingly, my Walker muffler was cheaper than just this straight pipe (a little surprising). Looks like in order to get that to fit with clamps (so you can take it out) is get a small union on each side.

Another option for you IMO to avoid any hassle with taking pipe in/out is just send that pipe back and go with a Walker BTM muffler for $46 plus shipping from Rockauto.com. It is a straight thru muffler for better performance and sound. You can just use clamps or weld it in. Not quite as loud as a straight pipe. But this way just leave it in and forget about it.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Emergency Services

Well that's the thing, upon looking at it farther the openings of the pipe actually flare out, not in. The picture kind of makes it look reversed like the inside diameter is larger than the opening diameter. I talked to my bud today and he has a sawzall i can use tomorrow. So I'll go over to his place after work and we'll see if we can get this thing on.

Thanks for the advice though
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the end of the pipe have notches grooved into them to allow to be clamped, or is it solid all the way around? They offer clamps on that link you posted. So it doesn't make sense that it would not bolt on for you. Obviously you will find out once you are able to hack the old muffler out of there.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Emergency Services

Minor update

Couldn't get it in today way too busy. I'm off work tomorrow so the plan is to get it in tomorrow morning (waking up at 8 before it gets hot). But in it's place i just finished installing my DIY intake....and it's NICE . Love that turbo woosh
Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you get this thing installed. Were you able to install this using clamps only?

This is exactly what I'm needing, if so.

Thanks, Jon
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Emergency Services

Yes it was installed but they ended up having to weld the side closer to the engine. The pipe was apparently too short to be clamped....not sure why but i was done arguing and just wanted it in. So basically it's clamped on one end and welded on the other. Total cost was only $45 so I'm happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.