Upgrade Stock Turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade Stock Turbo?

Hey guys,

I'll be fixing a leak on my turbo pedistel in the near future and got to thinking about upgrading my turbo since I'll have it off.
I plan to upgrade the truck with a tuner and injectors eventually and I was wondering if it was worth putting money into the stock turbo? How many hp can it support stock/modded?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This will depend on what injectors you plan on running and your overall HP goals.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
X2..first deside on HP then build for it, much cheaper in the end. What year?

properly modded a stocker can handle close to 400
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I'm kinda new to the diesel world and don't really know what my h.p. goals are. . How much hp. can a 7.3 make and still remain dependable? How far would stage 2 injectors get me? Can injectors ever be rebuilt/upgraded? Like stage 2 rebuilt to stage 3? How does one go about deciding on a hp. goal?
While fixing my leak, is it recomended to gut my pedistel and the butterfly in my exhaust?
And its a 2000.

Last edited by 88kevina; 06-08-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM

You could change out your compressor housing
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM

You can gut the pedistal or you can buy a new one that does not have the valve in it.

HP goals are all up to you and depends on how much money you want to spend and what you do with the truck.

I would just start simple add a chip and see what you think. Being a manual and a 2000 you can play for cheaper then us PMR guys with autos!

The stocker with a bigger exhaust side and an ats compressor will handle close to 400 but that is really pushing it. plus you are looking at about $700 for that. If you got the coin, go with a chip, 38r and some hybrids. that will get you 350 to 500 ish depending on how you have it tuned. probably $4k ish for the turbo,chip,injectors. Call up matt at gearhead. He quoted me a price awhile ago that was REALLY good and I should have taken it when I had the money. Now I am broke
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I get the immpression its a go big or go home type of situation. I cant justifiy spending the money on a 38r yet, but future plans will call for more boost than what a modded stock turbo can produce/handle.
I can wait to go big and save money by not tweakin my stocker.
But I have been lookin around at my work and saw some older smallish Semi truck engines, Cat, Detroit, Cummins, and a few dt466's. . Is it possible a turbo from one of them would/could work on my 7.3? Hope thats not a dumb question.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hybrids are a huge waste of $$$$ UNLESS you have to have over 450HP. Its all about profit margin on hybrids vrs stage 1-2's.

H2e are found on many engines but unless you get one cheap it may not be worth it.

Just because you have a stick doesn't mean you get away cheap..can cost $1k for a good clutch kit to handle 400+HP. But lots cheaper than a BTS.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Ole White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88kevina View Post
Well I'm kinda new to the diesel world and don't really know what my h.p. goals are. . How much hp. can a 7.3 make and still remain dependable? How far would stage 2 injectors get me? Can injectors ever be rebuilt/upgraded? Like stage 2 rebuilt to stage 3? How does one go about deciding on a hp. goal?
While fixing my leak, is it recomended to gut my pedistel and the butterfly in my exhaust?
And its a 2000.
Yes the stockers can be rebuild I went with (Diesel Jim) DIY Injectors.com he's a member here and he can either send you the parts and you rebuild and mod them or for an extra charge he will rebuild and mod them.

and just a word of advise if your thinking of Stage II's just go with the
Stage 3 Hybirds wish I would have done that the 1st time around in my truck the Hybirds have so much more potential and require less oil to operate which puts less stress on your HPOP(High Pressure Oil Pump)

As far as the pedistal goes I went with the NON-EBPV Pedistal instead of the hassell of modding the stocker

Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88kevina View Post
I get the immpression its a go big or go home type of situation. I cant justifiy spending the money on a 38r yet, but future plans will call for more boost than what a modded stock turbo can produce/handle.
I can wait to go big and save money by not tweakin my stocker.
But I have been lookin around at my work and saw some older smallish Semi truck engines, Cat, Detroit, Cummins, and a few dt466's. . Is it possible a turbo from one of them would/could work on my 7.3? Hope thats not a dumb question.

Thanks for your help
I can't find the link any more, but there was someone on here who had a van turbo, modded sticks, and some other small mods and made some BIG power. I've tried to search and can't find it...maybe someone can chime in. I think he was running a DP tune but can't remember for sure and I wanna say the numbers were 450HP and 900 or so TQ. SO...search and you might like what you find without having to get retarded. I'm planning on following this path if I can find it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.